5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2012 10:48 AM by ed.bowen

RPC Issue IPAM

ed.bowen

When attempting to add an additional dhcp server to new install of IPAM following error occurs:

IPAM Reports “The RPC Server is Unavailable"

This dhcp server is one of several in my environment and I have sucessfully added five prior to this failure.

Any ideas?

• Re: RPC Issue IPAM
          jan.tauwinkl

Ed, please run MS DHCP Console on that IPAM server machine and try connecting to that DHCP server from there. You should be logged in to IPAM server with the same credentials, which you specify when adding the DHCP server to IPAM. If it works, please open a new support ticket.

Jan

ed.bowen

I did run from IPAM server... and from from admin web page through a browser. I was able to sucessfully add five other dhcp servers from the admin web page without incident. Thanks for reading my post... and thanks for your input.

Ed

jan.tauwinkl

Sorry, I'm not sure if I understand. So were you able to connect to that DHCP server using MS DHCP Console?

ed.bowen

My MS environment is completely functional, I was able to add five other dhcp servers to the IPAM for dhcp scope monitoring without incident. When I tried to add the last two dhcp servers to IPAM they fail with an "RPC" error: "Test Failed The RPC server is unavailable See troubleshooting steps "

It is interesting that when trying to add the same two servers to the IPAM DNS monitor it also errors out with the following:

"Test  Failed Credentials not found. See  troubleshooting steps "

All server resources are domain controllers and in the same active directory domain and I have successfully added five dhcp/dns servers already. Almost seems like the demo software is not a full featured set and possibly has a resource limitation of (5) devices.

ed.bowen

Jan and Martin... thank you both very much for the assistance in resolving my IPAM communication problem. It appears that the server iLo address assignment was randomly picked up when the server was added to Orion NPM... its odd that it displayed all of the normal server statistics available on any one of the other AD domain controllers being monitored. This problem did not manifest until trying to add the server to the dhcp monitor in IPAM. Multiple RPC tests were conducted using IP address and FQDN producing normal and expected results. It was not until a "rawcap" tool was used that we discovered the incorrect iLo ip assignment. That was corrected and resolved the RPC connection problem.