This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Storage Manager NetApp NAS Performance counters

I was gathering some performance metrics for our NetApp volumes today and noticed a confusing discrepancy.  For a given volume, the peak of the "Total Ops/sec" graph is over 11500 ops/sec.  However, the peak "Read Ops/sec" is only ~475 ops/sec and the peak "Write Ops/sec" is only ~250 ops/sec.  My assumption was that Total Ops/sec was a simple summation of Read and Write Ops/sec.  Can anybody explain why eithe my assumption is faulty or the performance statistics are misleading?

Thanks!

Shane

• Shane

Storage Manager leverages the NetApp API, which has read_ops, write_ops, total_ops and other_ops.  We currently only collect read, write and total, not other.  Let me know if you would like to collect this additional metric and I can add it as a feature request.

Brian

• Thanks for your reply, Brian.  I think just understanding that there are “other” operations that contribute to the total_ops counter is enlightening enough.  I am curious though, is it typical for Other operations to account for the vast majority of IOPS?  In our case, as I posted, it seems Other operations account for nearly 11000 of 11500 IO/sec.

Thanks again,

Shane