10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2013 8:41 AM by dsbalcau

NetApp Disk Failure Alerting

jkmills

Model: NetApp FAS3160 (2 Node Cluster)

We have had a couple of single disk failures in the past couple of days and I am trying to figure out if Storage Manager can alert me when this happens. I see that STM is aware of the failed disk, but I cannot seem to get a rule created that will notify me. I had attempted to setup an Asset Rule to send a trap for Disk > Status, and I have notifications setup for the devices. We did have another drive fail and get replaced with nothing listed in the events or any emails generated.

I do know that STM can send emails and that our SMTP settings are correct, as I do receive alerts from another system via STM.

• Re: NetApp Disk Failure Alerting
          eloyramirez

I have been trying to figure out something similiar...i take it from the silence that "drive failure" is not able to be monitored or acted upon (creating an alert) as no one answered your question. Seems like a giant hole in product.

dsbalcau

Hi eloyramirez and jkmills,

The rule you are looking for does exist. On your NetApp, you would configure an Asset Change rule to alert on Disk Failure. Unfortunately, this is not working at the moment and is a known issue tracked under number 214512 internally.

I would recommend that you open a support ticket and reference the above issue, so we can make sure to include you in notifications as soon as the issue is fixed and track resolution formally. I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience.

avincent3

Hi eloyramirez and jkmills,

Did you get a chance to verify if the "Information" severity check box for the email notification is checked? Also please verify the "Events Monitor" if there are "Information" traps for the Disk status change when a disk is failed.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Anand

arumugam

Can you double check if you have checked the "Information" severity check box for the notification of device (Netapp) .  Unfortunately the disk status traps are sent as "Information" severity..

Aru

eloyramirez

not sure if this is what you are asking about...i do not see a place to set the severity

Screenshot_6_18_13_3_37_PM-4.png

dsbalcau

Hi eloyramirez,

Go to the Event Monitor and then select Severity -> Information in drop down and see if the alerts are appearing there:

6-19-2013 2-28-34 PM.png

If you see the event there and then wish you change the status, click on the little pencil icon in the Edit column, which will open up the edit dialogue. There you can change the severity of that alert going forward:

6-19-2013 2-31-38 PM.png

eloyramirez

cool...thanks!

Now I need to get with Support to setup email notification.

avincent3

Steps to setup email notifications for traps:

Go to Settings --> Users --> Manage Users --> Click the edit icon under "Manage" column. Now you will see the Administrator's profile,

Click "Add" to add your email address. After adding you need to add the specific notification,

Click "Add" under Notifications, And select "Groups" if the device for which you are creating notification belongs to any group. Or just select "Device" and click "Go".

You have to select the specific Group or Device in the second drop down.

After selecting group or device the important thing is you need to check the proper severity. In our case it is Informational trap for Disk status change. So ensure that you checked the "Information" check box under Severity.

And finally move the specific email address to the selected box and save.

And I hope you have set the email configurations in the "Server Setup" section under "Settings". If so,now you should be able to receive email alert for the notifications you have set.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Also can you please confirm if you are able to see any informational traps in "Event Monitor" page for the disk failure? It should be an informational trap for Disk Status Change. Please let us know.

Thanks,

Anand

avincent3

Hi eloyramirez,

Did you get a chance to check if you are able to see the Informational traps in the Event Monitor? Also did you check the configurations for email notifications? Please let us know.

Thanks,

Anand

dsbalcau

Hi eloyramirez,

Are you know able to see the traps being generated?