This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM 10.2 How to stop all advanced and basic alerts quickly

There used to be a "temporarily disable all actions for all alerts" in both basic and advanced alerting.  Now I see it only in basic.  In advanced "Active Alerts" there is a "Disable all actions" but it does not disable new alerts from being emailed.  I must be missing it... where is it?  Disabling a service seems like overkill, and choosing the alerts individually is very tedious.

Thanks.

Debbi

• From the web gui you can disable all alerts by clicking the top check box and then choosing disable.  Go to settings, manage alerts.

• Also you can do it through Windows GUI for alert managing.

• Thank you for your kind replies.

Choosing the top check box "Alert Name" and clicking "disable" does not have the same functionality as what we had before.  We have only selected alerts we have active from a *long list* at any given time.  If I disable them all, how would I remember which ones had been enabled?

Debbi

• I think, it's best-practice to have document where you describe you settings.

Also I usually have only needed alerts, if I disable some I should write comment on it and edit name with something like 'Disabled'.

After you disable all alerts for a short period you don't need write comment or edit name, after you will be able to find and enable back.

• If this is truly the only option, I find it annoying that something that was easily functional for many years in Orion, a single checkbox that toggled our active alerts off, and more importantly, easily back on again, was changed.

Debbi

• Debbi,

I was just looking at this on my machine and the checkbox to disable all actions you're referring to is still there. You have to click on the "Active Alerts"(the blue and white triangle with exclamation point) within the Advanced Alert Manager. The checkbox is in the upper right corner.

• Steve, that checkbox does not disable my emailed alerts, as I mentioned in my original post.  Does it in fact disable yours?

Debbi

• It may be that the application is not allowed to edit the registry. In that case, it can be done by hand. Open up regedit, go to HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Wow6432Node\Solarwinds.Net\AlertManager\Settings(if this is a 32 bit OS it will be HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Solarwinds.Net\AlertManager\Settings). There should be a key in here for "Disable Alert Actions". Set that to "True". This should turn them off.

• There is no key at all called "Disable Alert Actions" under the SolarWinds.Net\Alert Manager\Settings.  I added not a Key, but a String called Disable Alert Actions and set it to True.

It now shows the following under Settings:

(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)

Alert Refresh Interval REG_SZ 120

Disable Alert Actions REG_SZ True

Event Refresh Interval REG_SZ 120

Is this how yours reads?

Debbi

• That's exactly how mine looks. I wonder if perhaps your alert manager is running a different version. This *should* be upgraded when you updated to 10.2.x, but maybe it didn't for some reason? Try this:
    1. Stop all SW services

2. Make backups of all the files in  \Program Files (x86)\Solarwinds\Orion\ that start with "Alert" and remove the originals.

3. Open up the Config Wizard(Start->Programs->Solarwinds Orion->Documentation and Support->Configuration Wizard)

4. Pick the option to repair services and leave all the options checked. Run through this and let it copy files over. (It should restart services during this)

This should replace your Alert Manager with the up to date version for Orion.