4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2012 4:33 AM by dtango2010

How to update windows server which runs failower?

dtango2010

Hello.

How can I login into secondary (slave) Solarwind server that is used FoE?

I mean I have two NIC installed (“Network  Connection” + “Cannel  network”) on the servers, but as you probably knew “Network  Connection” adapter blocked by FoE on the second server.

And here is the question:

How I can install/apply windows updates on the standby server then?

--Alex.

• Re: How to update windows server which runs failower?
            dtango2010

Hello Bshopp.

Thank you for link the you provide me, however i would like to continue discussion

"http://knowledgebase.solarwinds.com/kb/questions/1472/How+to+Apply+Operating+System+%28OS%29+Patches+or+Hotfixes+with+Minimal+Interruptions"

I was trying to use this procedure , however i got some difficulty to understand few steps...

So,
            A)
            Patching a Orion Failover Engine server pair without management (backdoor) IP addresses
            Is there any documentation that could describes topology with or without backdoor IP?
            B) Part I
            Bullet 4,5 and 13,14
            Honestly, I use LAN IP to RDP to Primary server, so after switchover the connection to Primary server TOTALLY interrupted.

So, I have to connect to Secondary server and RDP to primary via connection IP. Am I right with procedure?
            C) Bullet 8
            Am I missing something? When FoE on secondary server was stopped? Why we have to start it?
            D)
            The opposite to Bullet 8. Why we have to do somthing with FoE on primary. It have to be started already.

Part II. (upgrade using management (backdoor) IP addresses)

A) Bullet 1 and 2.
            LAN IP is disabled by FOE, How I can download patches from Internet, if the interface (LAN) that is connected to INTERNET disabled?

I assume that the answer could be in correct topology, but I really cannot pretend the topology where interfaces that are used for downloading updates and for monitoring infrastructure are different interfaces.
            B)
            Bullet 8 and 17.
            The same as for Part I.
            FoE  on primary (bullet 8) and FoE on Secondary (bullet 17) , have to be started already.

I'll really apriteate if you'll find a time for some comments about what I've found.

Kind Regards,
            Alex.

• Re: How to update windows server which runs failower?
                aLTeReGo

A) Patching a Orion Failover Engine server pair without management (backdoor) IP addresses Is there any documentation that could describes topology with or without backdoor IP?

The only topology differences are the addition of an additional network interface in both servers that have FoE installed. These additional network interfaces each have a unique IP address, and are used exclusively for out of band management of the servers.

B) Part I Bullet 4,5 and 13,14 Honestly, I use LAN IP to RDP to Primary server, so after switchover the connection to Primary server TOTALLY interrupted. So, I have to connect to Secondary server and RDP to primary via connection IP. Am I right with procedure?

If you're connected to the Primary server via RDP in a LAN configuration the RDP session will be interrupted but it should reconnect to the secondary server automatically. In a WAN/DR configuration you will need to manually re-establish your connection to the active server.

C) Bullet 8 Am I missing something? When FoE on secondary server was stopped? Why we have to start it?

This is an "if" conditional step based on the the requirements of the patches being installed, and written as to apply to either the primary or secondary server. This is because you are asked to shutdown the FoE in step #5. If the FoE services are already started on both the active and standby servers then you can skip this step entirely.

D) The opposite to Bullet 8. Why we have to do somthing with FoE on primary. It have to be started already.

Part II. (upgrade using management (backdoor) IP addresses)

This is merely a precautionary step to ensure that the FoE services are started on both the Primary and Secondary. If they are, then you can skip this step entirely.

A) Bullet 1 and 2.

LAN IP is disabled by FOE, How I can download patches from Internet, if the interface (LAN) that is connected to INTERNET disabled?

I assume that the answer could be in correct topology, but I really cannot pretend the topology where interfaces that are used for downloading updates and for monitoring infrastructure are different interfaces.

These instructions are for using the backdoor/management IP address that should be active when the server is in standby mode. Routing is dependent upon your environment and can be configured via a variety of different methods such as interface metric, static route, proxy, etc.

B)
                Bullet 8 and 17.
                The same as for Part I.
                FoE  on primary (bullet 8) and FoE on Secondary (bullet 17) , have to be started already.

Again, only a precautionary step to ensure FoE is running on both the primary and secondary servers.