This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Why LEM License Evaluation Expire Error?

FormerMember
FormerMember

Hello everyone.

I downloaded LEM Evaluation for VMware, and deployed it, but when LEM first start, console display like this.

1.png

I configured the LEM server ip, and waited for quite a while, but still, so i reboot LEM with console command. After rebooting the console, LEM display properly configured ip. Then i access the LEM console url with browser, i found "Manage——node" page has a license error, like this

3.png

But i was deployed today, so i ignored this error, go on install the windows agent in my server. However, after installation nothing node could be found. Have a friend who can tell me why?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Check the time & date on your VMware server where LEM is deployed to make sure it's correct.

The license was created on May 17 (today), which means it should expire June 17, which all sounds good. Where things go wrong is where it thinks today is past June 17. The only way it thinks its expired is if the system is actually past June 17 - which would seem to imply the date is wrong on that system. The LEM appliance inherits the time from the VMware server it's running on, so if the time is wrong there, it'll also be wrong on the LEM appliance.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

hi pauls, thanks for your help.

My vmware have a cluster with three hosts. I deployed LEM in the cluster, but the storage space used one of the hosts. I had checked the three hosts time, time was right, it's May 17 xx:xx. I don‘t know whether i did the right thing?

• FormerMember

That sounds correct. We have had a couple of reports of this same issue and it also appears that it resolves itself within about 24 hours, worst case.

If you go to the Monitor screen and then "All Alerts", do you have any alerts there? If so, what does the timestamp column of "InsertionTime" say?

pastedImage_0.png

• FormerMember

Hi pauls, i didn't pay attention this, thank you for reminding me. Although I would like to know the results, but today is the weekend, and so on Monday I'll look at it, if there are problems, I'll screenshot made ​​up. Have a nice weekend, thanks.

• FormerMember

Hi pauls, i saw the InsertionTime, it's right, look at these

1.png2.png3.png

• FormerMember

Thanks, those timestamps look good. Could you try rebooting your virtual appliance (you can send a CTRL+ALT+DEL from the virtual console and it'll trigger a reboot) and restarting your console?

Here's a couple more things to take a look at, if it's still not resolved.

Ensure the LEM VM is synchronizing time with your ESX host. Check the VM's settings and look for the "Synchronize Guest Time with Host" option. If this option is disabled, LEM falls back on a daily NTP synchronization, and if that fails, it will not be able to get a proper timestamp.

pastedImage_1.png

After you've done that, ensure the ESX host is either configured to NTP sync, or properly set. Check the ESX server's settings and look for "Time Configuration" (use "Properties..." to change):

pastedImage_2.png

After all of that, if you made changes, you can always reboot to be sure, though they should take effect within a few minutes.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Hi pauls, i think you're right, i re-deployed LEM 5.4 yesterday, and wait about 24 hours. Today the LEM License is correct, and the nodes can be found.

1.png

I guess the reason is the DHCP, my situation is in the no DHCP environment. I wonder whether it is when i trid to deploy LEM within the DHCP environment, it could get the ip, then verify the license by the network, then all be right (Yes i have deployed, and everything is OK). But if after the installation has not been able to verify the license via the internet, it would wait a long time for the next opportunity to verify the license. Is this a license authentication mechanisms reason?

• FormerMember

I'm glad it's resolved now. We're going to try to reproduce and track it down here, too, to figure out what the root cause is.

If you need to activate a new license key from the console, it's helpful to know the license verification is done from your console (browser/computer) to the SolarWinds licensing server, then relayed to the appliance. The appliance itself doesn't contact the internet for anything.

If you can't get the license activation to work automatically, you can request a manual activation key for a purchased license from the SolarWinds Customer Portal. (Navigate to the License Management page and click "Manually Register License" next to your key; in the LEM Console click the dropdown to select "Manual" and provide the details)

• FormerMember

Ok, thanks for your help pauls.

• I think i have a similar problem... i have done all those.. but still no joy ....??

i cant see the nodes in the console... even though i've installed agent on the server.. ??? if i need to activate the key... is it that product keyy... showing on the console.....( blue screen)... i need to activate it ... i cant use internet .. ..on the network.. any idea how to do it

any bodyy .. bit urgent.. ??? plz