This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Nexus Power Supply OID's

Hi

I have been trying for a while to find OID's to monitor the state of the power supplies for our 5010's and 2248's and think i have found one that works but i am a little confused.  When i poll for cefcFRUPowerOperStatus it appears to pick up the status of 5k's and the subsequent Fex's but instead of 2 power supplies for each which is what i was expecting its detecting 3 and numbers them each with 22, 470 and 471.  Does anyone know what these numbers represent?

To give a fuller picture when i test to that MIB i see the following:-

Row ID          Test Results

22                 2

470               2

471               2

101000022     2

101000470     2

101000471     2

I assume 101 is refering to the Fex as i am seeing similar output for 102,  103 and 104 which are my Fex numbers.

Any guidance would be great? Or any better suggestions for polling Nexus Power Supplies, Fan trays and Fex status would be gratefully received.

• Hi Andy -

Yes, the 101, 102 etc are definitely referring to your Fex units - that's how they are labelled on an interface basis by default (i.e. Int eth101\0\1 for the first interface on the first Fex)

Looking at the ID results, I think that the Row ID values are as follows:

22    Supervisor

470   PS 1

471   PS 2

When i do a show env power on one of my 5010s I get the following - the fact that the supervisor is reported as powered-up seems to hint that it's what OID 22 refers to:

N5010-6-01# sho env power

Power Supply:

Voltage: 12 Volts

-----------------------------------------------------

PS  Model                Power       Power     Status

(Watts)     (Amp)

-----------------------------------------------------

1   N5K-PAC-550W          544.56     45.38     ok

2   N5K-PAC-550W          544.56     45.38     ok

Mod Model                   Power     Power       Power     Power       Status

Requested Requested   Allocated Allocated

(Watts)   (Amp)       (Watts)   (Amp)

--- -----------___--------  -------   ----------  --------- ----------  ----------

1    N5K-C5010P-BF-SUP      349.20    29.10       349.20    29.10       powered-up

Regards,

John

• Hi John

Thanks for this, i'll start polling for these and hope it doesn't have any ill affects on the Nexus (they are sensitive souls after all, well ours are for some reason). Really appreciated the help.

Andy

• No problem Andy - I've just found this which goes into a bit more detail:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/176871

• Hi AndyRoberts​, Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Do you know the correct OID to poll for Nexus power supplies? I am trying to poll the same for Nexus 7K's. Cheers

• Hi. On NPM12 it should be capable of monitoring Nexus 7ks Hardware out of the box now. What version are you running?

• 11.5.3. We are going to upgrade to 12 very soon, it's just that our primary poller has 8G RAM and the minimum stated in the NPM 12 Admin guide is 16G whereas the recommended is 32G, so I htough I don't need to put our box under any more stress so we'll upgrade post server migration. What's the monitoring like on Nexus in 12?

My goal here is to create the most immediate warning I can regarding power supply on our Nexus Core, Our NOC is complaining that mails are not immediate enough. I was thinking I would create a report base on a custom poller that will display any nexus box which is returning anything other than a 2 (OK)when polled for cefcFRUPowerOperStatus and then publish this report on the NOC web console home page. Is cefcFRUPowerOperStatus the right OID to poll though? Also when you consider the output can be '2,2' when there are 2 supplies, this might make the report a little more difficult to create if at all possible. Has the monitoring/alerting improved in 12?

• Hi

NPM 12 is much better for monitoring and alerting in my opinion and more information available of the box now. To give an example for Nexus 7 this is what Hardware Details looks like in NPM12.

pastedImage_0.png

Hope this helps.