17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2012 8:49 PM by gaborkiss

Import templates from Thwack

fazza1

Hi,

When I go to import templates from Thwack using the import button on WMI Monitor no templates are displayed.

• Re: Import templates from Thwack
          MTorok

Thanks fazza1,

I will get this in front of the right people.

We'll get it fixed.

Michael

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            MTorok

fazza1,

Would you please check this now. I believe you will see the right info now.

Thanks,

Michael

fazza1

Michael,

I can see templates to download but I get the following error when downloading.

fazza

MTorok

fazza,

Thanks, we'll keep looking into this. Strange that you are getting a 404.

Michael

fazza1

Hi Michael,

If you want to replicate the error you can login as me?

Kind Regards

Jason

Message was edited by: Michael Torok. Removed personal info.

MTorok

We might need to do that. I'll let you know. I will circle back with my dev folks here and see if they've uncovered anything. Meanwhile, you can download templates directly here: http://thwack.solarwinds.com/community/application-and-server_tht/server-and-application-monitor/content?filterID=content~category[application-monitor-templates]&filterID=content~objecttype~objecttype[document]

fazza1

Hi Michael,

I can save and open templates using the url.

Kind Regards

Jason

Message was edited by: Michael Torok. Removed personal info.

gaborkiss

I am also having trouble importing templates from thwack for the WMI Filter. I select SQL Server 2012 Performance (WMI) and get a 404 if I give correct credentials. If I deliberately give incorrect credentials, I get a message "enter thwack credentials correctly", so it seems that communications is OK and the credentials are accepted. I just can't get the template.

I have followed the URL and the discussion there is useful in setting up the monitors one at a time, but it seems the template is for APM, not WMI Monitor. In any event I don't see how to pull in this template or even how to pull in a file I have exported myself to local storage.

Thanks,

Gabor

PS. Are you Hungarian? Torok is a Hungarian name  ....

MTorok

Gabor,

To import material from your local storage, you should be able to follow the instructions here:

Managing Templates

To import a template from a file:

1. Log on to your SolarWinds Web Console with an Administrator account.

2. Click the Applications tab.

3. Click SAM Settings.

4. Click Manage Templates.

5. Click Import/Export > Import.

6. Click Browse and select the template file, then click Open.

7. Click Submit.

Note: If you import a template with the same name as one of your existing templates, the name of the imported template is modified by appending (n) to the name, where n is an integer. For example, assume you save the template named Tomcat Server Template (shipped with SAM) to a file. If you then import the saved template Tomcat Server Template from the file, the imported template is renamed as Tomcat Server Template (1). If you import the same template again, the next imported template is named Tomcat Server Template (2), and so on. This renaming protects you from accidentally overwriting an existing template.

This is a direct link to the template you mentioned: SQL Server 2012 Performance (WMI)

Maybe the link is incorrectly cached in your browser?

Let me know if I can help further

And, Yes sir, I am Hungarian.

Cheers,

Michael

gaborkiss

Michael,

Thanks for the answer, however I am using the WMI Monitor free product at the moment. I want to get experience with the free products before I push my boss to spend $3K for the APM. The WMI is supposed to import templates from thwack but is not able to.

Gabor

MTorok

Gabor,

I've a question into dev on this, and I do understand your desire to get familiar with out extensive line of free tools. I certainly hope this glitch doesn't stop that exploration. It looks like our migration to the new thwack platform left this tool in a bit of a lurch.

Meanwhile, if you want to get the full experience of SAM (formerly APM) (no features turned off and none hobbled) you might want to download a free 30day trial. If you care to do so, this is the link: SAM Trial.

Thanks again for your patience here,

Michael

gaborkiss

Michael,

I didn’t realize that there had been changes to thwack. That explains other things that I noticed. Not a problem, I’ll keep it in mind.

I’m aware of the 30 day trial and I figured I would hold off on starting the clock until I had some experience with the free tools and also had time to devote to actually kicking the tires.

Thanks for letting me know, and if there is some resolution to this particular problem, please let me know. I’ll keep my eye on the forum in any case.

Gabor

MTorok

I got a workaround that has been tested and should work for you:

1. Download the template you want to import onto your local system.
                                                  2. Make sure you have run the WMI monitor at least once.

Note: The hack will NOT work for “first run” situation as the known templates file will be overwritten by the defaults.

3. Open the known template file in a text editor (\Local Settings\Application Data\SolarWinds\WMIMonitor\KnownApplicationMonitors.xml).
                                                  4. Open the application template you want to import in a text editor.
                                                  5. Copy the template from the start of the tag to the end of the tag.
                                                  6. Paste that into the KnownApplicationMonitors.xmlfile between two existing templates, above the first application template, or after the last application template.

Note: Verify the file in a XML viewer to make sure you did not create malformed xml.

7. Open the WMI tool.
                                                  8. Navigate to Config settings.
                                                  9. Click Select A Monitor.

Your new template will appear in the list of known templates.

Let me know?

Thanks!

Michael

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                      gaborkiss

Michael,

Thanks for the instructions. I don’t have a \Local Settings directory. I have \Program Data\Solarwinds but there is nothing in there but WMIonitor_Install_log.txt (note that the typo is in the filename itself). I have also searched for KnownApplicationMonitors.xml

Is it possible that the installation was messed up in some way and I just need to reinstall? The application does run…. Uh actually I can’t start it now. It starts and then hangs on “loading”. OK let me just re-install it. I’ll let you and Steve know what happens.

Gabor

gaborkiss

Michael,

OK I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times. I finally ended up installing in a fresh directory WMIMonitor2 and got the startup process. I gave it the local machines IP address and credentials, tested the credentials successfully, and it is now back at “loading”.

On the bright side, I do now have the KnownApplicationMonitors.xml so if/when I get this running, I will be able to try your hack.

Gabor

Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 5:52 PM

To: 'jive-2038946776-365m-2-3vep@solarwinds.hosted.jivesoftware.com'

Subject: RE: - Import templates from Thwack

Michael,

Thanks for the instructions. I don’t have a \Local Settings directory. I have \Program Data\Solarwinds but there is nothing in there but WMIonitor_Install_log.txt (note that the typo is in the filename itself). I have also searched for KnownApplicationMonitors.xml

Is it possible that the installation was messed up in some way and I just need to reinstall? The application does run…. Uh actually I can’t start it now. It starts and then hangs on “loading”. OK let me just re-install it. I’ll let you and Steve know what happens.

Gabor

gaborkiss

Michael,

I gave up trying to install on the machine I have been using so I installed in a different machine. I found that it was very easy to damage the xml file but using XMLSpy I was able to repair it and in the end I was able to import.

cid:image001.png@01CD9130.5CA3AA60

However it doesn’t work.

cid:image002.png@01CD9130.5CA3AA60

cid:image003.png@01CD9130.5CA3AA60

That’s OK, never mind, I will create the monitor one WMI counter at a time.

Gabor

Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:26 PM

Michael,

OK I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times. I finally ended up installing in a fresh directory WMIMonitor2 and got the startup process. I gave it the local machines IP address and credentials, tested the credentials successfully, and it is now back at “loading”.

On the bright side, I do now have the KnownApplicationMonitors.xml so if/when I get this running, I will be able to try your hack.

Gabor

Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 5:52 PM

Michael,

Gabor