8 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2012 4:40 AM by cvachovecj RSS

NCM 7 User authentication mode requires credential change in server tool?

herwig

Hi

imagine you have to use user- instead of device authentication for devices in NCM,

e.g. because your company policy does only allow you to store passwords in Windows AD database and not in any other DBs.

I did some tests to achieve this requirement:

1. change device connectivity method to use user and device login credentials

2. change the login information for all devices from "Device" to "User"

3. in Orion Core, added a new user "test"

4. logged in to NCM application with "test" credentials

5. test login credentials for a device - telnet sniffer capture in background

---> What I see, NCM still uses the device login information defined under global macro settings...

6. Then I used "File" > "Change My Device Login Credentials" and again entered the credentials already used in Orion Core user creation.

---> Now finally NCM uses the user credentials instead of the device credentials.

So, is there really no way to use ONLY Orion Core credentials for NCM user authentication ?

As a conclusion if above is true, there is currently no way to use AD users from Orion Core in NCM without adding the AD password into the NCM database ?

(I assume the "Change My Device Login Credentials" writes the user credentials into the NCM database...)

Thanks in advance for any comments...

Herwig