This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Switch Port Availability - Network Summary

Apologies for a question I assume has been asked, and this novice just cant find.

For capacity planning porposes, I'm trying to create a report of the avaialble switchport capacityfor 20+ switches located in our main facility.  I can find reports of "Port Availability", but nothin showing a summary of the avaialble port counts (ie.  35 of 48 used = 36% avaiability),

I'm trying to use the Report Writer to modify one of the existing Interface summaries..... but getting nowhere.

Can someone give me some pointers as how to build this tpye of report?

Thanks.

gRich B.

• Question:

How do you classify a port as used or unused? It can be based on:

1. Current interface status - Assume all down to be unused
    2. No traffic seen on the interface for x number of days
    3. Interface configuration defaulted
  • Great Question.  For auditing purposes I'd chooose a port that hasnt seen any activity in 90 days. Or is Admin adown.  I really just want a summary count of available switchports by device.

• NPM cannot provide such report. If you have engineer's toolset or other SNMP tools, you can try to automate the procedure explained here:

OTOH, if you have NCM installed, it is much easier to pull out automatic report. Others have created SQL reports to automate this. For instance:

Note that this relies on the inventory collection, so make sure you run the inventory job frequent enough to get an accurate report.