This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SQL Server User Experience Monitor - Server Name

Hello,

Following on from a previous post -

I would like to request the ability to specify the server name to run the SQL query against.

For example I was creating a monitor for a Riverbed Steelhead (that used UnDP) I would have liked to apply this SQL check against the Steelhead node not the SQL server holding the data against it.  This way I can see if there is a problem with the Steelhead node and not the SQL Server that stores the data.

Cheers,

Peter

• Instead of associating SQL queries with different hosts, wouldn't you rather a more comprehensive SNMP component monitor in SAM that supported similar functionally that the UnDP currently provides?

• Oh definitely but I still can think of a place were we want to query our custom applications that are SQL driven.

Eg has Application1 on ServerA updated some records for new users.

Where ServerA connects to SQLA to store its data.  So the processing (updating of new users) is done by ServerA rather than the SQLA which where the Template would need to be applied emoticons_happy.png

Not sure if this makes sense, I hope it does.

• Understood. I just wanted to be sure I understood the requirements of the feature request and that in your use case this did not simply satisfy a deficiency in the SNMP monitor, but had validity and usefulness beyond that requirement. I welcome others in the community who would also see value in such a feature to chime in as well and describe your use cases.

• I would also like this feature.  I have some common SQL servers that house multiple App's databases, so I have an app template that is for multiple apps on that sql server, but the services and processes are in another app template assigned to the app server.  I have worked out other ways to get things looking right, but this would give me more options.

• Can you share your workaround to get the SAM/APM under the correct node?  I was thinking Powershell & WinRM might be able to do it or VBScript?

• This was one of our primary uses cases for developing groups in Orion. Have you considered adding the node and the application into the same group and alerting and reporting upon the group instead the node and application separately?

• That is basically what I did - one group per application.  The biggest issue with that work around is that I can't put in a custom field for the primary technicians.  When it is assigned to the node, I can grab a node custom field, but with groups you get no way of using custom properties.  Now if groups had custom properties, that would fit the bill best.  One app that spans 5 servers, could be combined and you could have a shared/common SQL server that you pull specific components.  Then you would just need to setup views - can a group have custom views per group or type (?) of group.  It would be nice to have the view based on a custom property.

• You are correct. It's not currently possible to create customized views for specific groups or create custom properties. These are some good feature request ideas that I'd recommend posting in the appropriate forum.

• are you saying these are not current feature requests?  I know I have seen custom properties for groups in many places, but that isn't for NPM/SAM/SeUM/NCM, it is more like Orion Core, is there a forum for that?  I want to use it for SAM, I don't even have to be an NPM user, and custom properties and views for groups would still be needed.  Does SAM not support the use of groups?  I guess I am just confused why an idea that would effect SAM does not belong in a SAM forum, is there a reason for this?

• I'm sure both of these features have been requested by other customers already, but since I'm not the current Core/NPM Product Manager I can't say for certain how often this feature has been requested. I directed you to the NPM feature request forums because the NPM/Core product manager is moderates this forum. It also helps us funnel the demand for a particular feature or functionality related to core. Otherwise each Product Manager has a distorted view of how important a particular feature is to our customers. For example, if 1 IPAM customer would like to see custom properties for groups then the IPAM Product Manager probably thinks there isn't much demand for this feature. But if you add up all of the customers who think this is an important feature across all the different products then you might reach a different conclusion. Does that make sense?