This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Need help with a report - Isolate workstation traffic

Hello,

I’m struggling with a report and wondering if anyone else has generated something similar.

We’re getting ready to do a data center consolidation.  The employees will be staying in one town while the servers will be moved to a new data center 60 miles away.  I’d like to know how much traffic is currently going from the workstations to the servers.  Specifically I want to know what the peak amount is.  For instance “Workstation A” was copying a file to “Server X”.  During that copy the bandwidth usage topped out at 135MB/s.  It would be nice to also know how long that level of traffic was sustained (the conversation peaked at 135MB/s and lasted 48 seconds).  I need to make sure I don’t include any traffic going out to the WAN.

Environment:

1.       All switches are layer 3 with sflow support

2.       The servers and workstations are on separate VLAN’s so filtering by subnet range is possible.

3.       The core switch (ProCurve 5406zl) has 8 active interfaces.  5 go to the workstation closets, 2 go to the servers and 1 goes to the WAN.  Given the small number of ports in use on the core, filtering at the port level would be manageable if needed.

4.       I’m using NTA 3.9.0

I’m willing to use “Flow Navigator” or “Orion Report Writer” or a combination of the two.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Steve

• I would use a node detail view on the core switch, limited by IP address group. Constrain it to the IP address groups involving the servers and the end user subnets, and go from there.

• Hello,

I'm that far but I don't see any way of pulling the aggregate kbps transfer rate for all nodes at any given point in time.  I'm looking for peak and average over a 30 day window.  What's the worse case senario for potential WAN congestion?  What time of day is the heaviest usage, What's the average usage?  -That kind of thing.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Steve

• Try this: look at the "conversations" view and pull down the data units menu and change it to "Rate" instead of "Data transferred per time interval". That seems to give the aggregate transfer rate for an IP address group. I don't see any way to easily get the average, though.

PS: I mean the "conversations" section of the view you get after you apply the node and IP address group filters in Flow Navigator, not the canned "conversations" view in the menu bar.

• OK, I've decided it can't be done.  Even looking at the database directly there doesn't seem to be any useful relationships between the traffic tables and the netflow tables.  SolarWinds support was also unable to come up with a complete and accurate report.  -Unfortunate.