3 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2012 2:35 PM by cmgurley

Alert for VM guests that reboot

cortneychristensen

alertI would like a little assistance in configuring an alert for vm guests that reboot. I have one that works well on a shutdown but when I followed that same pattern for reboots I get no results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Alert for VM guests that reboot
          cmgurley

Hey Cortney,

Have you looked at the "VMs rebooted" alert? It uses the search query of "vm.bootTime:[now-30minutes TO now]" and can be set to notify you accordingly.

I haven't confirmed that this alert is on VMan 4.x, in case you haven't upgraded yet. Even if you haven't, you could setup that alert yourself (just let me know and I can send you the details).

~Chris

cortneychristensen

I have seen that alert but it does not show any VMs triggering the alert (even though we have dozens of  vm guests that restart on the weekend). I wondered if I was missing something.

Cortney

cmgurley

Nah, I see what you're saying. I rely on VMan more for performance than for alerting, so I hadn't paid attention to the rebooting alert. Looking back at my alert history, I see that it hasn't caught most of our reboots either. It seems to see some VM reboots, but nowhere near all of them, especially during a large set of reboots.

One might ask what your performance collection schedule interval is, but mine is set to every 5 minutes, which would definitely catch VMs with a vm.bootTime value of <30 minutes (if your perf check was >30 mins, it's possible that it could miss some reboots).

*light bulb* I think I just figured it out. Since VMan only sees what the vCenter API reveals, it will only flag that alert when a reboot is initiated in vSphere Client. Thus, if your guests reboot due to an OS- or user-initiated action, this will not be recorded in the vCenter event logs.

If you want to see up/down/reboots, Orion NPM is going to be your solution (in my opinion). Hope that helps.

~Chris