This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alert for VM guests that reboot

alertI would like a little assistance in configuring an alert for vm guests that reboot. I have one that works well on a shutdown but when I followed that same pattern for reboots I get no results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Hey Cortney,

Have you looked at the "VMs rebooted" alert? It uses the search query of "vm.bootTime:[now-30minutes TO now]" and can be set to notify you accordingly.

I haven't confirmed that this alert is on VMan 4.x, in case you haven't upgraded yet. Even if you haven't, you could setup that alert yourself (just let me know and I can send you the details).

~Chris

• I have seen that alert but it does not show any VMs triggering the alert (even though we have dozens of vm guests that restart on the weekend). I wondered if I was missing something.

Cortney

• Nah, I see what you're saying. I rely on VMan more for performance than for alerting, so I hadn't paid attention to the rebooting alert. Looking back at my alert history, I see that it hasn't caught most of our reboots either. It seems to see some VM reboots, but nowhere near all of them, especially during a large set of reboots.

One might ask what your performance collection schedule interval is, but mine is set to every 5 minutes, which would definitely catch VMs with a vm.bootTime value of <30 minutes (if your perf check was >30 mins, it's possible that it could miss some reboots).

*light bulb* I think I just figured it out. Since VMan only sees what the vCenter API reveals, it will only flag that alert when a reboot is initiated in vSphere Client. Thus, if your guests reboot due to an OS- or user-initiated action, this will not be recorded in the vCenter event logs.

If you want to see up/down/reboots, Orion NPM is going to be your solution (in my opinion). Hope that helps.

~Chris

• I created the following alert that  is triggered if a vm runtime and  the last boot are less than 30 minutes.

:Custom SQL ALERT(Advanced)

:Virtual Machine

Condition:

where (DateDiff(mi, Boottime, getdate()) < (30)) And  (Runtime  < (30))

here is a print

2018-01-19 12_18_44-Edit Alert - _COS- VM Rebooted_ - Internet Explorer.png

• is this working fine?

I am planning to configure an alert for VM guests(Windows/Linux), without any wait time as the team wants to know if them guest had undergone a reboot.

• With VMAN 8.4, this use case is very easy to solve. I've written up a quick example to demonstrate the ease of use.

DEAR VMAN: How do I have better visibility into VMs that are rebooting?