This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Historical response time report and event report do not match

Each month I meld two different reports together for a specific reporting requirement.  The first report is a report of the average, minimum and peak response times.  I select the following items:

Average Response Time sort * function AVERAGE

Peak Response Time sort * function MAX

Minimum Response TIme sort * function MIN

The second report that I run is a query against all of the events for response time violations.  The response time alert is configured as an advanced alert.  The alert is checked every 1 minute and triggers when my Average Response Time limit has been violated for at least 4 minutes.

Response times are polled every 120 seconds and statistics are polled every 10 minutes.

Here's my problem:

When I pull those statistics together at the end of the month, my report shows sites where the peak response time is less than my alert threshold (250 ms), but I have response time events that triggered during the month.  Here's a snapshot of my report.

Node    Average Response Time    Peak               Minimum    Percent Packet Loss    Average Availability        Response Time Events          

Response Time                                                                                                  Total #    Avg / Day      

Site1              31                             161                   26                   0%                        100.00%                       6              0.3      

Site 2             31                             685                   26                   0%                        100.00%                       14            0.7      

Site 3             19                             405                   16                   0%                        100.00%                       12            0.6    

Note that Site 1 has a peak response time during the month of 161 ms, but had a total of 6 response time events during the month.  That means that during the month at least 6 periods (polling every 2 minutes and the condition has to exist for at least 4 minutes) were *higher* than 250 ms.

Any ideas why my peak response time for the month does not reflect the accuracy of the response times report?  For interest sake, the peak response time according to my event report was 465 ms for the month.  (Gotta love rural broadband, eh?)

Thanks,

Josh

• I am wondering if this might be related to your data retention settings. Can you run this against the last 7 days and see if the numbers line up?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

yeah i am leaning with Andy toward you having issues with your data retention settings.

remember if you change these to make sure your database is ready for the new settings.

so your current is probably to hold 1 minute data  for 7days and then roll up to 1 hour data for 30days and then 1day for beyond that

and if you just go in and tell it to keep 1 minute data for 30 days then your database will swell alot with all the extra data

another way you might think about doing this is run your reports every week so you get the 1 minute data and then combine the weekly reports for your monthly report at the end of the month.

• Thanks guys, this is awesome feedback.  Now, I haven't had a chance to try it out just yet, but it completely makes sense.  I'll definitely tackle some report testing and see what I can find.

As an FYI, here is what my retention settings currently look like:

Retain Detail Stats180 Days
    Retain Hourly Stats180 Days
    Retain Daily Stats365 Days
    Retain Events90 Days
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to jbiggley

just a word of caution here that setting the retention for detail to 180 is really going to expand your database size.

Glad to have been able to help.