This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Advanced alert on comparing two undp

Hi,

I am trying to raise an alert when a value goes near another value. I have two Universal device pollers, each containing a smtp table.

I have no problem combining these in the webinterface giving me an overview. since the rows maches the rowID

What I would like to do is to raise an alert if a value in one of the pollers reaches the value in the other poller

Is it possible to do this in the advanced alert configurator?

I have attached two screnshots of my webinterface.

web ressource.PNG

edit ressource.PNG

I would like the alert to be raised when VSCurrentConn is nearing VSMaxConn

Best regards,

Henrik

• Hello Henrik,

I am affraid that this is not possible in advanced alert manager right now. You have to compare against values saved in proper column in DB which means that there can not be another variable. You can create an feature request for that.

Thanks,

Pavel

• It seems like you could just poll both values and do a transform.  Then just alert on the transform.

I handled a similar use case like this.  I polled total swap space and I polled swap space available...and then subtracted the second from the first with a transform, alerting when the transform was over 100 MB.  Mechanically not much different if I understand your request correctly.

• Hi,

Thanks for the response - I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier emoticons_happy.png

Anyways, this only helps me halfway.

I can now transform the value to something more useful to alert on (Percentage of connections utilized)

The big problem I guess is that the poller gives back a table.

In the alert manager I created a new alert on the transform poller, where the alarm triggers when 'status' is > 80%

but the poller returns an array of values from one node, since it comes from a table with multiple rows like:

status: 1, 3, 7, 2, 0, 2, 2, 4, 10, 0, 49, 0, 0, 3, 0, 2, 60, 0, 0, 0, 12, 43, 26, 7, 1, 2, 5, 1, 0, 14, 1, 0, 0, 4, 1, 5, 1, 20, 1, 0, 3, 10, 0, 0, 3, 1, 1, 0

Best regards,

Henrik Noerr

• Looks like you may be able to do something similar to what you're describing in NPM 10.3 beta:

http://thwack.solarwinds.com/thread/48231

<quote>...your UnDP alerts based on tables can now contain an identification of which row of the table experienced the alert violation condition...</quote>