6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2012 10:04 AM by rhugh

Question on Network Atlas maps

rhugh

Hi, I have a couple of questions on statuses and colors.  According to the documentation, when an interface goes down, the icon should turn yellow.  I created a network map, put a device in it, and shut down the interface.  I now get a green circle with a little red circle on the lower right; however, the icon is green, not yellow.  Subsequently, when I add the device into a group, and put that group in the map, the group icon does not turn yellow, even if I have it set up to show the worst condition.

Is there any way to set up the maps, so that when an interface goes down, it will turn the group icon yellow?  I have a feeling the color stays green because all of the nodes within the group still have a status of "UP."  I can set up alerts for the notification when the interface goes down, but I would also like to see a visual representation of it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Question on Network Atlas maps
          cmgurley

To make the group/map icon turn yellow, you will need to add the interfaces to the group and/or put the interface (not the node/device) on the map. That sub-icon you're seeing is showing you that a component of the node is down, but that the node itself is still up.

Let me know if that helps. I can give more details/steps if needed. Thanks!

~Chris

rhugh

This seems to ALMOST work the way I want.  The only thing I see here is that I had to create a dynamic query to get to the interface.  There is no way to add the interface to a group; you can only add the whole node to the group.

Also, after trying this out, I shut down the interface, but the group icon still shows green.  Am I missing a trick somewhere?

Ray

cmgurley

Hey Ray,

What version of NPM are you using? I'm running 10.2.2 and my groups can have interfaces. When I create a group and am on the "Add & Remove Orion Objects" step/page, the "Show only:" drop down list has "Interfaces". When I select this, I see all of my interfaces from which I can check the boxes next to individual ones and click the green arrow to "Add to Group".

group_interface.png

If I missed the issue, let me know and we'll keep digging together on it. Thanks.

~Chris

rhugh

Chris,

That's a big fat DUH!  I am running 10.2.2 as well, and now I see what you are saying.  I wasn't even looking at the dropdown boxes at all.  I used the dynamic queries, which led me to the same place, and, unfortunately, the same conclusion:  your method works if the interface is actually down, but doesn't work if it was administratively shut.  That is to say, the group icon stays green even though the port is shut down.  I don't know if that is by design, but I would prefer, for my purposes, that the icon turns yellow or red.

Thanks for all of your input!

Ray

cmgurley

Ray,

Yeah, the assumption in SW/Orion is that if an interface is administratively shut, it was intentional and therefore not to be alerted upon (as you can see in my screenshot, I've shutdown 263 interfaces for security/efficiency purposes).

That said, in Orion Alert Manager, there is an alert for when someone shuts down an interface, which will notify you when it goes down and when it comes up. Granted, this won't change the icon color on the NOC screen, but it might work as a stop-gap if you aren't already using it.

Thanks,

Chris

rhugh

Chris,

I do have alerts set up for when the interfaces go down.  This little "exercise" is just to set something up so that we can have a quick visual for the folks in Operations.  Strange, but I don't have any interfaces that have a status of Unplugged, like you do.  In any case, thank you for the help in setting this up.

Ray