This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Router up time

Hi

Is any one know how NPM measure the UP time?

If the last boot was

11:13AM  up 347 days, 9 hrs, 1 user, load averages: 0.02, 0.04, 0.00

uptid.png

• It is measured not via what the router says its up time was, but rather on the device's reachability from the polling engine. If a circuit goes down that prevents the poller from reaching the device, it deems the device as down. I believe this is based solely off of ICMP echo, but it could rely on SNMP reachability as well.

• Hi,

Micheal is right. Also if you need the sysuptime (hardware up time) you can get it by assigning corresponding SNMP OID to every device via UnDP. Then you have to convert the result in milliseconds to human readable format. Some friend of mine create me a report including sysUpTime (OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0).

Availability Report.jpg

• Orion NPM is polling sysUptime OID for you automatically out-of-the-box. It also automatically computes Last Boot value from current sysUptime counter value and is able to alert based on that value. Orion stores both current sysUptime counter value and computed Last Boot in database, please notice SystemUpTime column (value is stored in seconds) and LastBoot column in Nodes table. You should be able to create a report based on those.

If you decide to set up UnDP and poll sysUptime counter value directly anyway, please notice, that it is not using milliseconds as suggested. It is using 1/100th of seconds (10 ms ticks). Please refer to Cisco Object Navigator OID documentation for more details.

• How can we get the SystemUpTime from default? I didn't know that. Can you show me?

• You can create "Current Status of Nodes, Volumes, etc" report in Report Writer and add Network Node -> Node Details -> Last Boot field. This report will provide you Date and Time when node was rebooted for the last time, computed using system uptime counter value exposed through sysUptime OID. If you need to display real counter value instead of date and time of the reboot, you need to use Advanced SQL report with query similar to this one:

SELECT Caption, IP_Address, SystemUptime FROM Nodes

SystemUptime is the value you are interested in. Please notice, that Orion is converting counter value from hundreds of seconds to seconds units before it stores it into database.

• Hi,

I know this one is an old thread, but I think your report looks very informative.

If you don't mind, would you please share the SQL script for this report/view because I am not pretty good with SQL. Thanks.