0 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2012 9:44 AM by rtg

NPM portal login issues

rtg

During the last week, my NPM 10.2 installation has started logging a couple errors every morning between 3-4am.

The first error is:

Event ID 4001 - Solarwinds.Orion.IpSla.BusinessLayer

Service was unable to open new database connection when requested.

Exception Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool.  This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached.

The second error which occurs repeatedly every ~25 minutes after the above error:

Event ID 7031 - Service Control Manager

SolarWinds Orion Module Engine service terminated unexpectedly

Fault bucket , type 0

Event Name: CLR20r3

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: solarwinds.businesslayerhost.exe

P2: 2011.2.21.23

P3: 4f31f27e

P4: SolarWinds.Orion.Common

P5: 2.0.0.0

P6: 4c7c214f

P7: e4

P8: 13e

P9: System.InvalidOperationException

P10:

Once this condition occurs, NPM continues to run but I can no longer login to the web portal. Neither group nor individual accounts work. The login page just hangs indefinitely after entering credentials. If I have a browser session already open, I can continue to access the portal. Data collection and email alerting also appears to be unaffected so connectivity to the database still seems to be established. I have also setup a script which runs a sqlcmd to test connectivity to the database every 10 seconds and this test never fails. The database server is a separate box running SQL 2008 Enterprise and my DBA sees no issues with it.

To recover from this state, I have to reboot the NPM server. Restarting the SolarWinds services and IIS is not enough to fix the issue. Does anyone know what may be causing this?