This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SAM and NPM on separate servers

All,

I built an Orion environment in the past with NPM and APM on separate servers in order to increase performance.  I'm now building a new environment with NPM and SAM.  When I installed SAM on it's own server, it REQUIRED an independent SQL DB that wasn't part of NPM.  So any devices I discovery in the NPM environment, will now have to be rediscovered in the SAM?  Not to mention, the web console integration is practically non-existent.  Based on the docs, we now create a URL to launch SAM in it's own window, similar to the Storage Manager and Virtualization Manager integrations.  Am I missing some docs that define a better integration practice?  One of the biggest selling points to Orion has always been it's integrated "single pane of glass" approach.

• Something clearly went wrong with your installation as SAM and NPM share the same database. No integration between the two products will exist so long as each product is using it's own database. The only real workaround to that would be to use the EOC. Since both products are installed on the same server there's no need to use the EOC. I'd recommend uninstalling SAM from the server entirely and re-install using the advanced install option where you can manually select which database SAM should use. At this point be sure to select your existing NPM database.

• This is exactly what I want to do as well!  I didn't have separate servers for APM and NPM before, but now my APM load is increased ALOT, but NPM is getting swamped out by SAM.

I didn't know you could have it on a separate server before!  Did you have to get the additional poller license to do that?

- He said NPM and APM/SAM were on separate servers so the uninstall and re-install wouldn't work.

• I reached out to some buddies and an integrater, for more info as well.  Here's the scoop from what I was told...and it was my fault for not understanding the architecture well enough.  Yes, APM 4 and SAM 5 can be installed on separate server; however...and here's the caveat...if APM/SAM are installed on separate servers from NPM, you ARE REQUIRED to treat it as a stand-alone system.  Additionally, the web integration to NPM will be very similar to the current integration with Storage Manager and Virtualization Manager (basically, a URL redirect).  The preferred method for installation (in my opinion), is to purchase an additional polling engine.  You would install all the core components on the same server, install the additional polling engine on a different server, and then assign nodes to the additional poller to split up the load ("load sharing").  If the node is assigned to the additional poller, "ALL" polling (NPM or APM/SAM) is supposed to be done by the additional poller.

Morale of this story...read the install docs (APM/SAM) closely, the info is in there.  emoticons_blush.png