7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2012 11:08 PM by zizi

Topology

dfairles

How can I mark all nodes to discover layer 3 and layer 2 topology without going to each node and listing the resources?

• Re: Topology
          zizi

You can use Background Inventory, which Orion ordinarily uses during upgrade from previous versions to automatically assign new pollers for CPU, Memory and Topology. Background Inventory needs to be configured manually in Orion Database. You can use SQL statement below to enable re-inventorying of L2 and L3 pollers for all SNMP Nodes in DB:

BEGIN TRANSACTION

UPDATE dbo.[NodeSettings] SET SettingValue = SettingValue + ':L2'

WHERE SettingName = 'Core.NeedsInventory' AND SettingValue NOT LIKE '%L2%'

AND NodeID IN (SELECT NodeID FROM Nodes WHERE ObjectSubType LIKE 'SNMP')

INSERT INTO dbo.[NodeSettings]

SELECT NodeID AS NodeID, 'Core.NeedsInventory' AS SettingName, 'L2' AS SettingValue

FROM dbo.[Nodes] n WHERE n.ObjectSubType LIKE 'SNMP'

AND NodeID NOT IN (SELECT NodeID FROM dbo.[NodeSettings] WHERE SettingName = 'Core.NeedsInventory')

UPDATE dbo.[NodeSettings] SET SettingValue = SettingValue + ':L3'

WHERE SettingName = 'Core.NeedsInventory' AND SettingValue NOT LIKE '%L3%'

AND NodeID IN (SELECT NodeID FROM Nodes WHERE ObjectSubType LIKE 'SNMP')

INSERT INTO dbo.[NodeSettings]

SELECT NodeID AS NodeID, 'Core.NeedsInventory' AS SettingName, 'L3' AS SettingValue

FROM dbo.[Nodes] n WHERE n.ObjectSubType LIKE 'SNMP'

AND NodeID NOT IN (SELECT NodeID FROM dbo.[NodeSettings] WHERE SettingName = 'Core.NeedsInventory')

COMMIT TRANSACTION

dfairles

Thank you so much.  This worked great!

dfairles

OK, that marked all the nodes, however topology is not working correctly. 

Example:

I have a group of switches in a building that I want to build a map of.  When I create a map, and include these switch and use "Connect Now"  Some of the links do not get connected correctly on the main switch in the building.

NPM Topology on the node details view for the main switch is also incorrect.

I can look in the database table NodeCiscoCdpEntries, and the proper entries for the master switch are there, but they do not reflect what is show on connect now or the NPM topology.