2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2012 10:15 AM by techynerd

UDT v2.0.0.716 unable to detect any IPs/MACs

chmcasmartin

Installed the latest UDT today integrated with latest NPM RC. Polls and finds all switchports, but they all show no mac addressses or IP addresses. Not very useful at all in it's current state. Any assistance would be wonderful. We're using SNMPv3. I have a switch here on my desk that I'm using to do immediate testing as I can plug/unplug freely with it. SwitchPort Mapper from the toolset is crashing on me so I can't test with that. Any thoughts?

• Re: UDT v2.0.0.716 unable to detect any IPs/MACs
          techynerd

I am having the same issue.  Recently implemented NPM, NCM, UDT, and SAM; just imported two switches into UDT and I have the same issue you are seeing. My ports are there and say they are being monitored, but there is no end node information.  I was able to search an IP address of a device connected to one of the switches in UDT, and I get some information for the device, it even shows the correct switch but the port is showing as "unknown".  Both switches are Cisco 6500s with SNMP v1.

I ran the UDT Compatibility Check against both switches.  One switch checked out fine, the other switch didn't pass layer 2 "endpoint info", but I'm not sure what that means and how to fix it.  Also, the other switch passed eveything but still has an issue.  Anybody with suggestions would be appreciated.

• Re: UDT v2.0.0.716 unable to detect any IPs/MACs
              techynerd

By the way, I figured out what the issue was way back in April almost right after I posted the above string.  Its just a matter of the tables that SolarWinds uses to pull that information.  If you have a layer-2 distribution, then you need to have that switch imported into the system too.  For the IP information you need your layer-3 distribution.  SolarWinds will pull the information from the tables on those devices.  I was an idiot and just needed to use my brain a little.