This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Ecom SMI provider using all memory?

FormerMember
FormerMember

Hello,

I have a server with 16GB ram and the EMC ECOM process uses all of it. I can restart the service but it will creep up over a few days. Is this normal or do I need more RAM?

Thanks

Stu

• Do you have the latest version of the EMC SMI-S Provider?  I believe it is 4.3.2.1.

Brian

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to bmrad

Hello,

Versions are below is it posible to a inplace upgrade or does it all have to be reconfigured?

CIM ObjectManager Name: EMC:10.203.15.4

CIMOM Version: EMC CIM Server Version 2.6.6.2.0.6

SMI-S spec version: 1.5.0

SMI-S Provider version: V4.3.1.1

Thanks for your response

Stu

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Hello,

I have installed the latest version of the EMC SMI-S Provider it allowed me to do it in place so I will monitor the RAM usage.

Thanks for your help.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to bmrad

Hello,

Upgrading has sorted out the RAM usage thanks for your help.

Stu

• Stu,

According to powerlink.emc.com I see that the latest available SMI-S provider is version SMI-S Provider 4.3.2 for SMI 1.4, dated February 21, 2012. I have found better results with completely uninstalling the EMC SMIS solutions enabler from the control panel add/remove programs applet and then going behind and removing any trace of the program here: c:\program files\emc\ and then installing the provider from scratch. This would ensure that no files are still in use as opposed to upgrading in place.

Additionally if you opt this route, you will have to re-add your storage arrays to the provider itself by going here:

C:\Program Files\EMC\ECIM\ECOM\bin\TestSMIProvider.exe

click enter about 7 or 8 times to accept all the defaults

Then add the arrays using the ADDSYS command. (follow the prompts, if everything is entered correctly then you will get 0 = results good)

Additionally there is documentation with screenshots here:

http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/profiler/docs/SMISProvider.pdf

Regards,

Milton Harris

SolarWinds Technical Support

• Hi,

We have the same problem, just updated to version SMI-S provider 4.4.0.0 but the problem is still there.

Is there solution for this?

Regards

Harry Pieterse

• Harry,

How many arrays are you monitoring with the provider?  What type of arrays are they (VNX, VMAX, etc.)?  How many disks total are you monitoring?

Is the provider on Linux or Windows?

Just want to see what kind of load you are putting on the provider.

I would try what Milton suggested - uninstall the current provider and make sure everything is gone, then reinstall and reconfigure the provider.

Alternatively, EMC now has a Provider built into their Solution Enabler virtual appliance that runs on VMware, some users have better luck with this.

Brian

• Brian,

We are monitoring 12 arays with about 2400 disks.

4 are monitored using the ECOM service on a windows platfrom.

I did indeed deinstall and remove the complete ECOM software and directory on the system.

After a reinstall of the latest version of th eSMI-S provider (V4.4.0.0) which is now running for about 5 days the memory consumption seems to be more stable.

I will keep an eye on this to see how the long-tem behavious appears to be.

At least for now it doesn/t take 2-3 days to allocate all 8 Gb of memory on the system

Harry

• Harry

Thanks for the update.  Definitely keep us posted.

Brian

• Hi Brian,

It seems the SMI-S provider (V4.4.0.0) is now OK, memory consumption looks prettu stable now for th elast week and a half.

Harry