5 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2012 9:14 AM by Malik Haider

Moving NPM installation from one drive to another

dpeterson87

I was wondering if there was a guide or if anyone had info on how to move the NPM installation from one drive to another.

We currently have it installed on our windows partition C: and want to move it to D:

Thanks in advance for any help

-Dustin

• Re: Moving NPM installation from one drive to another
          Malik Haider

There is no such guide actually the installation is very simple . You just need to uninstall everything for SolarWinds from (Add / Remove ) program and re install and change the path to D drive as required.

- If you have custom reports you can copy to the report folder to the D drive report folder .

- You do not need to worry about licenses as it will take previous licenses from Reg Key .

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              dpeterson87

If I do this, will all my customization on the web pages go away? If so is there any way to back that up?

Malik Haider

No WebCustomization saved in the DB . so you will have the same view as before .

dpeterson87

Had another question, do I also have to uninstall the Microsoft SQL Compact edition that was installed with the Solarwinds program when I move it from one drive to another?

Malik Haider

No you do not have to move SQL however you can move your DB files to another Drive in order to offload the load from the C drive if you have less space and performance .

- Remember

Note: SolarWinds strongly recommends that you maintain your SQL Server database on a separate physical server.

Please find the Admin Guide link below for SQL hardware.

http://www.solarwinds.com/support/Orion/docs/OrionAdministratorGuide.pdf

SQL Performance Check

Check your SQL server performance -

1) check the CPU and memory utilization on the server.

2) Go to Start -> Run -> perfmon.exe

Let this run for a few minutes, and check the Average Disk Queue length in particular - the average should never go above 2x the number of disks in the array. If you notice the graph peaking at 100% for extended periods of time, this is also a sign that your disk array is under pressure to keep up with the I/O.

You have a few options for helping disk performance - you can replace the physical disks with higher speed disks, you can add more disks to the array (more disks = the i/o load is spread out a little more), or you can look into what' stored on the array - if there are multiple databases on the array, try adding a new array to your server and move some of the database files to the new array.

Also, check the type of RAID array this was built on. Orion will cause a lot of small constant I/O to the database - because of this some RAID types like RAID 5 provide very poor performance. For small constant I/O like this, RAID 1, RAID 0, RAID1+0 or RAID0+1 provides the best performance.