8 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2012 12:08 PM by familyofcrowes

Windows EventLog Tool

klinejw

From a Windows node we would like to see an Eventlog tool added so that a user of Orion can view the eventlogs on the target server.  Our current tool that Orion is replacing has this functionality and it comes in handy in our Operations Center for analysts to quickly troubleshoot issues.

• Re: Windows EventLog Tool
          Questionario

Hi,

I believe SolarWinds will refer you to the LEM, Log and Event Manager which is available separately.

If you don't need all that functionality you might want to take a look at the LogForwarder available in your customer portal, it can forward windows eventlogs as a syslog... not very pretty and very basic but maybe it is enough for you?

klinejw

I am not looking for a log collector (we already have that and its way overkill for what I am referring to) just a simple log 'browser' from the toolset that my analysts are working from so that if the issue necessitates they can open a 'utility' to view current eventlog entries on the affected server.

Questionario

yup, thats why I mentioned the free logforwarder.

You can use that to collect eventlogs as syslogs and then browse through them via the web-ui or the gui-program!

if its not urgent and you can wait a couple of months, I believe it is planned to include a feature request for better visibility into eventlogs from within SAM but that will probably take a while until that's out as 5.0 is just out the door and when the feature is newly introduced it is likely to still be buggy....

familyofcrowes

We are actually in the process of buying the LEM, but it would be great if SAM and LEM could just work together.  I have many log monitors that would not be needed if I could have the LEM share its info with SAM....  and NOT with a trap....  I hate traps....  the whole separate alerting engine and all...

taylorfc

It's needs an event log viewer tool like SiteScope, not a log collector.  Engineers need the ability to pull the event logs one time, with no permanent storage.