This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Action in Trap Viewer to turn a trap into an Alert or Event

While the built-in business rules for SNMP Polling are handy, there are times when SNMP traps are the only notification of a problem.

I'd like our NOC to be able to see the Trap as an Alert or Event, react/research/respond to the Alert/Event, and then Acknowledge or Clear the Event/Alarm.

Part of the need for the Event/Alert instead of the basic trap list is so that we can use the play sound until Acknowledged feature.

• I aggree. an option to mark a specific trap as event would be nice

We use a good combination of Polling the specific SNMP OID for an issue and we also email alert our NOC when specific traps come in.

Though they have to respond to the trap there is no ack for them to document they are working on it.

One thing i saw though is that you can change the status of an interface on the node from the snmp trap alert rules.

If you add a new snmp trap alert rule under the alert actions check out the botom action of changing the status of an interface to warning for example.

I havnt tried this but I would assume that this could then be used to triger an event that can be ack.

• This is HUGE for us.  We NEED to be able to treat traps the same way we treat events.  I need them to show in the event log when they are associated with an alert.

We recieve traps from many element managers.  I need to use advanced alet manager to set an alert that will show in my filtered events.

Tivoli did it well, but now that we moved from Tivoli to Orion I am scrapping by haveing only the ability to send people emails....