This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Heads up - Linux/net-snmp volume monitoring

FormerMember
FormerMember

Just a heads up if you monitor Linux servers with SW/NPM - we had to figure this out the hard way by having a volume fill up and crash an application. Last week, I got a call about an application having problems, and when I logged into the server to check on things, I notice that root was 100% full. SW reported that it was only 95% full, and even though I had an alert set to trigger at >= 95%, the alert didn't trigger at all. This alert has triggered many times, so we know it works. I'm not sure why the alert didn't trigger, but I think I know why SW reported root as being only 95% full when in fact it was 100% full.

Apparently, there are two ways to poll net-snmp for volume information. SW uses the stock host resources MIB which doesn't appear to account for the (default) 5% space reserved for root on the file system. This is why it reported the volume as 95% full when it was actually at 100%. I have confirmed this discrepancy on RHEL 5 and Ubuntu 10.04 Server.

The latest NPM manual says to use net-snmp 5.5+ (which might fix this, but I haven't tested it) but RHEL 5 and Ubuntu 10.04 use earlier versions. If, like me, you either can't or won't upgrade net-snmp on your distributions, you just have to make sure you know that SW might report your Linux / net-snmp volumes as having more free space than they really do (5% is the default reservation). We changed the alert to trigger at 90% knowing that if the volume resides on a Linux server, then it could really be at 95% utilization.