2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2012 9:47 AM by DannyB

Account limitations in ESXi view

DannyB

I'm trying to create a view that I'm not sure is possible, after some advice off you guys.

We are a Managed Service Provider, we host various different customers within our ESX Environment, on separate VM's per customer.

What I want to do is be able to create a view of the ESX servers, similar to the existing view but only showing the guests for that customer, example if we have two servers called ESX1 and ESX2, each running the following VM's

• ESX1
        • CustAExchange
        • CustAFile
        • CustBExchange
        • CustBSQL
      • ESX2
        • CustBFilePrint
        • CustASQL
        • CustAPrint

I'd like a view so that when customer A logs in and looks at ESX1, they only see the custA servers, and have no visibility of the other servers at all.

Anyone know if this is possible, and if so how to do it? I've had a play with account limitations and view limitations, however it seems that to see the ESX server view they need to have permissions for the ESX server, that then gives them the ability to see (although not drill down into) all of the other servers on that ESX server.

Hope that makes sense?

Regards,

Danny

• Re: Account limitations in ESXi view
          ElevenB2003

I'm not sure of a way to limit the view of the guests running when you drill down into an ESXi server. However, host details are available via the guest views. For instance: if I go to one of our VMs I can see all of the info about the host that it's running on (except for other VM's).  This also shows the impact of the selected VM on its host and host details including network, CPU, memory, and then you can even throw in disk performance using something like SNMP Informant. 

• Re: Account limitations in ESXi view
              DannyB

Okay, I've seen that page, problem is I don't want the customers to be able to see what the total CPU usage, memory etc on the host is. Only what effect their servers are having on the host.

At the moment I've created a custom Group Summary view that has all their servers in it and although it's not giving exactly what I've been asked to provide it's giving something without compromising information on our back end infrastructure... Just waiting for our salesman to let me know if that's good enough!

If anyone else can think of anything please let me know!

Danny