4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2013 10:33 AM by wbrown

What does "new" mean in scheduled discovery results?

freemen

I was examining the results of a scheduled discovery. Of course it discovered a 24 port switch that was already being monitored along with all 24 ports.

So, why did NPM find 24 "new" ports on that switch if each of those ports was already being monitored? I always see lots of resources that are not really new.

What constitutes "new" to NPM? For that matter, how is "Changed" defined?

Thanks.

• Re: What does "new" mean in scheduled discovery results?
          wbrown

It means that those interfaces hadn't been previously discovered and then imported or ignored by that polling engine.

Discovery seems to keep its own table of what exists, completely independent of what has already been manually added, for each polling engine.

Importing the discovered interfaces that were already monitored will not affect your operation:  you won't have duplicate monitored interfaces showing up.

If the interfaces still show up as new after importing or they fail to import, then it means that the interfaces are already being polled by one polling engine but are being discovered by another.  At that point you either need to ignore the discovered node and interfaces, or move the manually entered node to the poller that the discovery is running on.

patriot

What if I only have one poller? What are the possible meanings for "new" and "Changed"?

wbrown

That's part of what leads me to believe that what discovery knows of versus what NPM monitoring knows of are 2 separate things.

"New" devices haven't been through the complete discover/ignore/import process yet despite already being monitored by NPM.  In the case of a single poller, importing devices and interfaces that are already monitored will result in no change other than they shouldn't show up in discovery any more.

"Changed" devices are devices that have been through the complete discover/ignore/import process but have interfaces that have not been imported or ignored.  This is why there are MANY requests for interface filtering during discovery.

ElevenB2003

I think it has to do with the "Connect Now" functionality of Atlas and how the Network Discovery application ties into that. As wbrown stated, it stores more information if it's discovered versus if you added it manually.  Changed could mean that something changed topology-wise for the node(s) and new probably means that you added it manually but it had not previously been discovered using Network Discovery.