5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2012 2:12 AM by zizi

Nodename showing up as IP and not with the DNS Hostname

elon

I ran a discovery using Hostnames that do resolve to an IP address. Most of the nodenames discovered with an IP address and not with the DNS hostname.

Is their a caveat to the way NPM does discovery. I expected the Hostname to be in the discovered Nodename field.

Any help would be appreciated.

Elon

• Re: Nodename showing up as IP and not with the DNS Hostname
          Chrystal Taylor

Are you receiving SNMP data on these nodes?  It strikes me that perhaps they are ICMP only, and in that case they would show only the IP and not the DNS name.

zizi

Orion is able to compose Node Caption based on SysName for SNMP and WMI nodes. If it's impossible to poll and use sysname, it uses reverse DNS look-up on Node's IP address to get FQDN. If also reverse look-up fails, Orion falls back to using Node's IP address. Both Discovery and Add Node Wizard use the same logic for composing Node Captions.

Can you please use nslookup console utility to check if your nodes, which were added with IP address caption, have proper reverse DNS records for their IP addresses? You can also check if all nodes are located within the same subnet, in which case hostname used for caption could be obtained using NetBIOS (instead of using reverse DNS look-up).

Marek Zizlavsky

SolarWinds Developer

elon

Reverse DNS does not resolve to a hostname. Strange though under Node Details

it does have the correct DNS name.Also I noticed on the nodes that did discover via

SNMP it posted the correct Nodename. The subnets are different due to the number of clients

we support.

zizi

Orion NPM 10.2 tries to perform reverse DNS query only for static Nodes (is Dynamic = false). It executes it as part of each Node status poll.

All nodes which discover via SNMP get their Caption by polling sysName OID using SNMP. Once Orion sets up Caption for the first time, it never touches it again, until user manually deletes caption text in Edit Node dialog, so value which is set by Add Node / Discovery remains untouched.

Is it possible that reverse DNS worked before and it is just not working now? Are you able to configure your DNS to provide this info? Were you adding Nodes using their DNS names or IP addresses? Which version of NPM are you running on?

Thanks,

Marek