4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2012 2:13 PM by chriswahl

Hyper-V Stepping Up To The Plate

virtualbill

In a world of 4 hypervisor based solutions (vSphere, Hyper-V, XenServer, and KVM), there is no question that vSphere has assumed the king of the hill role. Their focus on development and enhancement of the hypervisor and functions synonymous with virtualization has really driven the market to where it is today.

However, as tends to happen in Enterprise IT and a major architectural change, the front runner is finally seeing some competition. Microsoft's Hyper-V solution represents what I believe to be the first major competitor to vSphere… with Hyper-V 3.0.

We see this competition coming to fruition in:

- People actually having this conversation

- Software vendors writing solutions to interact with non-VMware products

- Hardware vendors crafting their solutions to interact with non-VMware products

VMware's ancillary vSphere applications, like SRM, and vCloud Director are advanced beyond what Microsoft is offering right now. So, those customers are not even going to blink at the thought of jumping ship to Hyper-V. However, for those utilizing the basic virtualization functions/features (consolidation and VM migration (both host and storage), suddenly Hyper-V becomes much more viable. Combine that with Enterprise licensure agreements from Microsoft, and the cost of moving to the Hyper-V platform is more palatable.

Plus, the Microsoft System Center platform is provides compelling integrations into virtualization and environment management that we have not seen from VMware yet. The ability for the System Center Orchestrator to spin up template-based VMs, install applications, configure the applications, etc… is really nice. I know this can be accomplished using a number of utilizes not he VMware side, so it is not like it cannot be done.

I look forward to seeing where this competition takes the virtualization environment. VMware has done a fantastic job in enhancing virtualization functions until now. Virtualization is still exciting to me and I thank VMware for that. However, now Microsoft and VMware have each other pushing the other. I believe this competition to drive the market further than we would have thought possible.

What are your thoughts? Do you think Microsoft is stepping up or catching up? Does Microsoft have a compelling product destined for larger scale adoption or are they going to be flash in the pan when we look at virtualization in 10 years?

• Re: Hyper-V Stepping Up To The Plate
          Real_IT

I think MS is definitely catching up, but I think the tech media is overblowing the degree of catch-up.  HyperV 3 will definitely help Microsoft gain a load of market share in the small business space.  The fact that one can use a simple SMB share and not have to spend a load of $ on storage is huge, and the price is right.  

As Microsoft gains more feature parity with VMware, VMW will have no choice but to reprice the lower end offerings.  I think they can maintain the top spot in the enterprise for the foreseeable future.  

virtualbill

Tech media may be overblowing the degree of catch-up... thanks to Microsoft marketing (nice job guys!).   and people freaking out about the VMware licensure change with vSphere 5.0. 

Using a simple SMB share, though, can really become a slippery slope. VMware allows for use of a simple NFS share too. But, you really need the storage performance from a NAS/SAN to get what people need. Storage vendors are going to need to figure out how to support SMB 2.2 to really give customers some bang for their buck. SMB 2.2 looks awesome!

I agree that VMW will maintain the stop spot in the enterprise market for some time... especially as feature parity is reached. No question. However, many enterprises and medium businesses have Enterprise/Volume agreements with Microsoft. So, as parity gets closer, I see the cost savings really adding that extra edge pulling towards Hyper-V. Pricing is really becoming another feature of an offering. 

The battle for the SMB environment is really heating up, though. The VMware PEX conference allowed VMware to communicate their ever developing focus on the SMB environment. I am very interested to see what Microsoft and VMware do in this market. 

travis_vanholland

Curious what your thought are around the recent developments with vSphere catering to the SMB space with 5.1. Specifically with doing away with the vTax (vRam based licensing), built in virtual machine backups, VSA now bundled with Essentials Plus kit, etc.

chriswahl

It's a step in the right direction. Also notice that a number of higher tier licensed features have been moved down the stack. Even though I work almost entirely in the enterprise space, I think VMware is making some smarter decisions as it focuses to SMB more and underlines the features and ecosystem that come with VMware (something it excels at when compared with other solutions).