This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Custom Poller - combine snmp results from different MIBs (Spanning Tree Monitoring)

Hi,

Anyone with experience in SQL queries and combining custom MIB pollers to create a combined GUI view or report?
A solution for following issue would bring benefits to lots of people I think... 

We want to add a Node detail listing the Spanning Tree Port Status of all important Interfaces of a Switch.
In NPM this only can be achieved with Custom MIB Pollers, since there is no "out of the box" solution.

Unfortunately SNMP Queries for StpPortState list based on an unique Index number and so the output is not human readable:

Again, the left column is not directly related to the IfMIB IfIndex value...

So what we would have to do here is:
1. Query the dot1dStpPortState Table – it delivers the STP State per port but with an at this point unknown ID as key value!
2. Query the dot1dBasePortIfIndex Table which then links between IfIndex and StpPortIndex
3. Query the IfMIBs translation Table for IfIndex to IfDescription
4. Combine IfDescription with corresponding StpPortState and list in output

As far as I understand NPM, this combination of pollers can only be done via custom SQL queries and combine values via customized reports which are then added as a resource onto the Node detail View, right?

Is there a tough guy accepting this challenge?
I already opened a support ticket - unfortunately the outcome was "We are not doing DBA support and do not have the knowledge to create such queries"... 

Thanks for any help on this!
Cheers
Herwig 

p.s.: Monitoring Spanning Tree is essential for enterprise LAN networks,
unfortunately this is not implemented in Solarwinds products as out of the box solution.
There are several threads here and most without propper solution.

• It could be something like:

select Table1.value as interface, table4.value as dot1dstpportforwrding
    from table as table1
      inner join table as table2 on table1.column = table2.value
      inner join table as table3 on table2.column = table3.value
      inner join table as table4 on table3.column = table4.value

But with out the actual data, its hard to set it up and get it right.

• yes, that seems to go in the direction...
    here is some additional information I gathered from my DB.
    At the moment there is no third poller gathering the IfIndex - IfDescription Table,
    but maybe this is enough data for writing queries? 

The poller tables:

The 2 existing pollers:

The assignement table mapping pollerID with Assignment ID

Finally the custom poller status table referenced with assignment ID:

• I can't check my work but this *might* do it (or at least be close).

SELECT Nodes.Caption, PortIfIndex.Status as PortIfIndex, StpPortState.Status as StpPortState
      FROM [CustomPollers]
        inner join [CustomPollerAssignment] on [CustomPollerAssignment].[CustomPollerID] = [CustomPollers].[CustomPollerID]
        inner join [Nodes] on [nodes].NodeID = CustomPollerAssignment.NodeID
        inner join [CustomPollerAssignment] as StpPortStateAssignment on ([StpPortStateAssignment].[NodeID] = [Nodes].[NodeID] and [CustomPollerAssignment].[CustomPollerID] = (Select CustomPollerID from CustomPollers where [UniqueName] = 'dot1dStpPortState'))
        inner join [CustomPollerStatus] as PortIfIndex on [PortIfIndex].CustomPollerAssignmentID = CustomPollerAssignment.CustomPollerAssignmentID
        inner join [CustomPollerStatus] as StpPortState on (PortIfIndex.RowID = StpPortState.RowID and StpPortStateAssignment.CustomPollerAssignmentID = StpPortState.CustomPollerAssignmentID)
      Where [CustomPollers].[UniqueName] = 'dot1dBasePortIfIndex'

• ouch, this one is a brain blower for me
    it seems there is something wrong with the StpIfIndex to IfIndex mapping part, but I could not figure out in detail.

I changed your query to show up all the joins and hope you can read any useful information from the output.
    A CSV output of this query is now attached to this posting (in txt, please rename to .csv)

Select *

From CustomPollers
        inner join [CustomPollerAssignment] on [CustomPollerAssignment].[CustomPollerID] = [CustomPollers].[CustomPollerID]
        inner join [CustomPollerAssignment] as StpPortStateAssignment on ([StpPortStateAssignment].[NodeID] = [Nodes].[NodeID] and [CustomPollerAssignment].[CustomPollerID] = (Select CustomPollerID from CustomPollers where [UniqueName] = 'dot1dStpPortState'))
        inner join [CustomPollerStatus] as PortIfIndex on [PortIfIndex].CustomPollerAssignmentID = CustomPollerAssignment.CustomPollerAssignmentID
        inner join [CustomPollerStatus] as StpPortState on (PortIfIndex.RowID = StpPortState.RowID and StpPortStateAssignment.CustomPollerAssignmentID = StpPortState.CustomPollerAssignmentID)
      Where [CustomPollers].[UniqueName] = 'dot1dStpPortState

br
    Herwig

• At least I found out whats wrong.
    When we focus on a node, we see 6 entries for 3 active/monitored interfaces.
    The first 3 lines represent StpIfIndex (e.g. 513) to IfIndex (e.g. 35)
    The lowest 3 lines represent the StpIfIndex to StpState entries.

Looks like a final join to a combined IfIndex <-> StpState  is missing?

Thanks for re-checking
    Herwig 

• "dot1dBasePortIfIndex" is right, but I guess the tie isn't working, but I don't see why it isn't.

try this one:

SELECT Nodes.Caption, PortIfIndex.Status as PortIfIndex, StpPortState.Status as StpPortState
      FROM [CustomPollers]
        inner join [CustomPollerAssignment]
          on [CustomPollerAssignment].[CustomPollerID] = [CustomPollers].[CustomPollerID]
        inner join [CustomPollerAssignment] as StpPortStateAssignment
          on ([StpPortStateAssignment].[NodeID] = [Nodes].[NodeID]
              and [CustomPollerAssignment].[CustomPollerID] = (Select CustomPollerID
                                                                from CustomPollers
                                                                where [UniqueName] = 'dot1dStpPortState')
             )
        inner join [CustomPollerStatus] as PortIfIndex
          on [PortIfIndex].CustomPollerAssignmentID = CustomPollerAssignment.CustomPollerAssignmentID
        inner join [CustomPollerStatus] as StpPortState
          on StpPortStateAssignment.CustomPollerAssignmentID = StpPortState.CustomPollerAssignmentID)
      Where [CustomPollers].[UniqueName] = 'dot1dBasePortIfIndex' and PortIfIndex.RowID = StpPortState.RowID

it's probably something simple, but I am not seeing it.

• Have you just tried a simple report like this?

The report yields output like this:

After that it is just embedding the report into a view. I believe this is what you are after, well as close as I can get it at least. The problem with this report is that it will show the status of the interfaces on every device.

Hope this helps some, and good luck.

• No, it also delivers empty output.

When I remove the "where" part of the query I get following output, but this might not help:

Looks like in the meantime mmelton brought up a promising, at least easy to implement kind of reporting STP.
    [Edited]: the simple report approach makes wrong links between interfaces and StpStates- doesn't work.

In the meantime I want to thank you for the time you've invested so far! 

• mmelton,

thanks for your valueable input! That's quire close to our requirements...
    One issue I have with it is that although I choosed a current report template its results show the STP state X times per interface instead of only one entry.

Another drawback as you already noted- status of every switch is shown and SQL filter on web view templates per device doesn't seem to work...

br

• seems like a custom poller adds the actual status more than one time into the current table?
    how can I reduce this output to only the real one actual status?

thnx