This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Should add simple functions for NCM

Iv been configuring my IPSLAs using the NCM because of the restriction on the # of nodes you can include in fully meshed IPSLA.  The problem is that all these operations execute very closly in time.  It would be nice to have the option to spread them around in that 300 second window so only a few are running at any given moment.

I tried to do this using the current ${Second} variable in my IPSLA scheduler but it seems that the ${Second} variable is initialized once and reused rather than polling each time the variable is called.  So it does not distribute my IPSLA as I would like.

Example.
no ip sla 1
ip sla 1
 udp-jitter 172.31.1.1 17000 source-ip 172.31.${Site_ID}.1 codec g729a codec-numpackets 100
 tos 160
 frequency 300
 timeout 180000
 threshold 1000
exit
ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time after 00:${Second}:${Second}

A more fitting solution would be to allow the use of a math function to randomly generate the value used.  In my case I would like to distribute my IPSLA operations over a 5 minuet window.  So the use of a ${Random(x,y)} function would be very useful.  Where x is the smallest output and y is the largest.

Example.
ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time after 00:${Random(0,4)}:${Random(0,59)}

This would allow me to distribute my IPSLA operations over a 5 minuet window randomly based on when they were created.

• I just found that a group schedule works even better. This distributes the IPSLA operations evenly over the 300 second window the operations run for. So only a few run at any given time rather than all of them running every 5 minuets.

Example.
    ip sla group schedule 1 1-36 schedule-period 300 start-time now

It still could be useful to have the ability to generate random high/low numbers for use in NCM though.