9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2013 3:34 AM by Ismo

Different map on different page?

Ismo

How can I show different map, in different devices page? In this case, I have several groups that include different devices. I'd like to make a map that show WAN map in WAN group, LAN map in LAN group etc. But I've only managed to show the same map in every page. (Of course I know why. All those pages belong to "groups" layouts. I know there are different page layouts in different type of pages, like hosts, interfaces, volumes etc. but that is no enough in this case because I'd like to get different layouts for same type of page layouts that include different devices.

• Re: Different map on different page?
          DanielleH

Hi lsmo--

You'll need to create a nested map.  Please see Re: Network map per group? thread for further instructions.

Hope this helps,
          DH

Ismo

That works in map navigating, yes. But now I only see child map when I click it on main map, but I cannot see other group level data (availability, events etc) that I normally see on group view. Any way to show different maps in different groups?

lukee_cz

Hi Ismo, which version of NPM are you using? There is new possibility  for this in NPM 10.2 and newer. You can for example set in map resource  "Group ${Name}" as map name format. After that in case you have map  names set according to group names, each group will show different map  in same map resource.

Ismo

(I just updated NPM to version 10.2.2)

Sounds nice, but I don't know how to do that. Where should I write and what buttons to press...?

Online help or admin manuals doesn't know that new feature at all.

Ismo

I have banged my head against wall for a while but I just don't understand how should I get advantage of that new feature after update... And I assume no one else either... ;)

jayd

Got it!

• Open any Group Details page and then click Customize Page
                              • Add a Map object
                              • Back to the Group Details page - Edit the Map object
                              • In the Map Name Format Dropdown list, select ${Name} (Not Group ${Name})
                              • Ensure your map's name is the same as the group's name

That did it for me.

Jay

Ismo

Nice job, it really works! Thanks!

jstephenson

This works, but they still need to make it so that you can set a custumized Detail View for Each Group.  What I am finding without this, is what if one group doesn't want the same boxes as another group?  If I remove one, it removes it for all.  If I do create a custom view, it sets that view for all groups.  I have maps of different sizes and need to be able to custumize the views of each group completely depending on thier needs...  Very furstrating!!!!  Anyone have the same issues???

Ismo

I don't know what has happened after this conversation, that actually solved my problem. But it doesn't help anymore! Here it comes:

I added a new map under one group, as before. After that I noticed that in other groups pages had an error "The selected map is no longer available. Select another map on the Edit Network Map page."

So I changed the maps again, and choose "select" which seem to be a new function of Orion. Sounds very good, in theory! I got the right map back. But that changed every groups map same as this map! No good at all! So I went back and selected ${Name} option from map edit as it were before. I got correct map back again, but in same time every other group maps changed to this same map, which is not correct.

So, it that a bug or can't I just use this anymore?

Edit: Solved! I had typo in group name, so it was not a same as map name was. Now it works ok, with ${Name}. Sorry to bother