6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2012 10:21 AM by mharvey

Nightly Database Maint Log File Location

Jason.Henson

Are these files still the only log files for the NPM nightly maintenance?  Is this where I would go to see errors in the nightly maintenance?

C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\NetPerfMon-Maint-'CURRENT DATE'.log

• Re: Nightly Database Maint Log File Location
            netlogix

Also \ProgramData\Solarwinds\Logs\Orion\swdebugMaintenance.log

foonly

Thanks, netlogix!

I found swdebugMaintenance.log on my W2K3 system in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Application Data\Solarwinds\Logs\Orion\swdebugMaintenance.log

Still haven't found NetPerfMon-Maint-'DATE'.log since the upgrade to 10.2.2. It was last seen in:

c:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Orion

So it must have moved, died, or is no longer used.

mharvey

The swdebugmaintenance.log holds the database maintenance logging for NPM, UDT, SAM, and others with the exception of NTA.  NTA's log is NTADatabaseMaintenance_BusinessLayer.log which, in Windows 2003, would be in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\Logs\NTA.

foonly

Thanks, mharvey.

What I'm finding is that the mainternance is indeed running. But I believe this is a separate maintenance from the maintenance setup via the Database Managet via Database Backup Schedule. That maintenance also compacts the DB, which I find has not happened since our upgrade to 10.2.2., nor do the backups appear in the directory specified. The Properties on the NPM DB show Total Space Usage of 58.6GB, but Data Space Usage of 15.6 GB.

I can compact the DB, but during the middle of the day, this means data logging to SQL is disabled, something we do not want.

I'm thinking it could be because one of our other admins setup a true SQL schedule that somehow conflicts with it. But I'd like to find evidence.

Wouldn't the Maintenance scheduled by the Database Manager show up in the NetPerfmon-Maint-'DATE'.log?

We really need better names for all these maintenance operations.

'

mharvey

The maintenance that is in the logs, is the nightly maintenance that is scheduled to run based on the time value setup in the Polling Settings area of your Orion website.  Rather than using the Database Manager to schedule backups or compacts, I would recommend having your DBA setup these jobs through SQL.  The only thing that was actually recored in the NetPerfMon-Maint-Date logs was simply a time stamp that nightly maintenance has begun, at which point, that would then be logged to the swdebugmaintenance.log.  The NetPerfmon log was actually just a place holder for that past few versions, not having any actual information.  It looks like now, SolarWinds dropped the log as it server no purpose with the logging being fully moved to the swdebugmaintenance.log.  In regards to the Database Manager backups, make sure the Database Manager recognizes that the SQL server Agent is running.  If it doesn't the backups won't run.  All the manager would do is write the task to SQL in a similar fashion that SQL Studio Management does, just not as effectively.  I'd again, really recommend using SQL Studio Management for scheduling backups and/or compacts.

Regards.

And I agree, there need to be better names for both the logs and operations.