4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2015 5:15 PM by drose807

User import tool not setting password

dmcconnell@epsilon.com

Using the User Import Tool, it does not seem to be setting the password on new accounts.  Even though it shows the password from the Excel file mapped to the AD password field, it's not getting set.  The user accounts are created with no password, so on first login, the user can enter their id, no password and will be prompted to change.  Any ideas why this may be happening?

Thanks,
      David

• Re: User import tool not setting password
          SteveSW

dmcconnell,

Can you go into settings and change your logging level to 'Verbose' then try again. Then check your log at <ProgramData>\SolarWinds\UserImportTool to see if there is anything pertinent to the problem you are seeing that you can post back here.

--

Steve

markphil

Probably 4 months too late, but I had the same/similar problem.

The user was created but I could not connect with the domain\name.

When I went to the newly created user in the properties, Account Options and unticked "user must change password at next logon" it worked.

wlovett

I am having the same issue here.  The "password" field in the User Import Tool is populated from the spreadsheet, but the password is not being imported.  Additionally, I am importing CannotChangePassword: TRUE and PasswordNeverExpires: TRUE.  After the import, the checkboxes in the account properties for these values are checked as they should be.  However, I can not connect with the account until I manually re-enter the password.  Is there any solution for this?

drose807

I used this tool last year to import our users into AD and had no issues.  I recently had a new computer and downloaded the latest version and I cannot get the password to be set on the newly created users.  Is there a fix for this yet?  I enabled the logging and this is the error that I am getting...

2015-08-21 18:02:40,591 [1] ERROR UserImportTool.Logger - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at UserImportTool.MappingManager.IsMappingsIdentical(Mapping mapping)

at UserImportTool.MainWindow.btnMapNext_Click(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)

Thanks for any assistance that comes!