This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Basic Managing Groups and Dependencies Question

Can you have multiple childern under one parent when setting up dependencies?

Or, is the common pratice to setup a group of devices and then add that group as the child object of the dependency?

• Why is that when you add a group within a group, the group shows up twice?  Once under the parent group and then again in the main group list?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to mikeyjay

I was also wondering about this. I have multiple sites with a similar layouts and I want to name the groups under each site the same but I can't since it says its not a unique name. But why should I be restrained to the group naming if the group is nested in different places.

• Site 1
      • Tier 1 Nodes
        • Tier 2 Nodes
    • Site 2
      • Tier 1 Nodes
        • Tier 2 Nodes
    Maybe I'm setting this up wrong but I can't have two "Tier 1 Nodes" groups. Says I need to give it a unique name but in my opinion it is unique since they are in separate nested groups.

• It shows up in the list twice because it is in fact two groups.  So it is it's own group, and then a member of the parent group.  You can have a parent group that has members that are nodes, groups, etc.

• travis

If they are all named Site 1 and Site 2, then how would you distinguish them?  Why not name them like New York - Site 1 and New York - Site 2, etc?  This would create a unique name for them, and allow you to distinguish the groups from each other on your groups page.  Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but from what it seems like you want to do that would create a chaotic list of groups in which half were named Site 1 and half Site 2.