This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SQL Counters Issue

Hi All, i've done a search of these forums along with the net, and have so far been unable to find an answer.  Hopefully someone on here can!

We already have NPM installed, and i'm trialling APM.  When setting up the AM for exchange, all is fine, but when adding SQL, most of the components are returning the error:

"category does not exist"

One example is the Buffer cache hit ratio.  I can view this on Perfmon on the box itself, under the perf object called MSSQL$SYSTEMDBS:Buffer Manager, but on Solarwinds, it's looking for SQLServer:Buffer Manager.  Can this be the cause?, sorry if this is a obvious question, my first outing with a product like this!

Thanks,

Andy

• Hello,

This is known issue and it will be fixed in the next release. Here is the fixed template that you can import to APM:

SQL Server 2005-2008 Performance (SQL).apm-template

We've changed the WHERE condition for each SQL commands

WHERE object_name = 'SQLServer:General Statistics' AND counter_name = 'User Connections'

to:

WHERE object_name LIKE '%:General Statistics%' AND counter_name = 'User Connections'

Kind Regards,

Lukas Belza (SolarWinds development)

• Thanks Lukas, this seems to work now, thanks!  Quick question though, do i have to go into each component to change the instance, and then change it again for the next server, when i want to monitor something other than the default SQL instance?

Thanks again

Andy

• The best way is to modify the SQL template and when you submit the template changes, all application created from this template start to use template settings. The new condition in WHERE clausule:

WHERE object_name LIKE '%:NameOfCategory%' AND ...

should works for all cases.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Lukas