3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2012 7:17 AM by Deltona

How Much is too much, and can it ever be too fast?

derekschauland

Solid State Disk is definitely a great idea. High performance, low wait disk to do everything from file transfer and caching to running my laptop.  What about as a SAN? To me this is something that sounds really good, but to think of the costs associated with a SAN built only on SSD, the message, does not computer flashes through my brain.

While the faster alternatives would be things like RAM disks running a SAN or shared storage (which is even more interesting), I think SSD is good for caching and improving performance on the front end for now, but what about down the road a few years?

Data never seems to shrink and speed is not something many users (power or not) will sacrifie once they have been there, so I think there will be a time in the not too distant future when SAS is too slow and SSD is the only way to go.  What do you think?  Would you buy shelves of SSD and build an entire SAN or Storage Solution on them?  Or is cache the best place for SSD today and what is your reason for your answer?

• Re: How Much is too much, and can it ever be too fast?
          Andy McBride

I put an SSD in my home PC and use it as the C: drive for launching the OS and apps. Then I added spindle drives for data. I love the speed. It boots in about 30 secs and most of that time is POST. When I first investigated going to SSD I was a little concerned about barrier degradation and the loss of bits it causes. When I did the math I found the drive should be good for about 5-6 years. Well, I have never kept the same HD for that long so I finally figured out I was worried about nothing (isn't that typically the case!). If I had to design very rapid SAN access I would probably combine RAMDisk and SSD; RAMDisk for read/write intensive files/apps and SSD for read intensive.

• Re: How Much is too much, and can it ever be too fast?
            Deltona

Meh, SSDs are slow!

Down the road a few years from now?

For Tier 1 HPC storage I think/hope we'll have SANs built on HMC, stacked DRAM technology with InfiniBand interconnects for host and scaling connectivity.
            As for Tier 2 storage, I believe SSDs will take over that sector as the choice storage technology for entry and mid level businesses.

After that, prices for DRAM storage will go down as soon as SSDs (by then - Tier 2 storage) become cheaper. Costs invloved in investemnts and implementation will drop, too, as everyone wants more compact, energy efficient, easily scalable and all important, better performing storage. It's a strong and sound technology that can evolve greatly with the right investments.

Mechanical drives will be phased out entirely since the technology has always been the number one drawback and or bottleneck in any system being built.
            Until then, i think they'll serve a purpose in the now called "cloud" storage sector for low level capacity access for the masses ...until the governments decide that the disks are causing the polar ice caps to melt, forcing business to invest in a "greener" tech.