This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Nodes in Unknown state after unmanage/manage.

Hello,

After putting some nodes in unmanaged mode and putting them back into Managed mode we have a strange behavior: some of them still into "Unknown state" even if we can see status on interfaces.... We have also this strange behavior on ICMP devices...

• Is someone has an idea to solve this issue?

• Hi elejeune--

I have this marked for the PM to take a look at.  Hang tight.

Thanks,
    DH

• Elejeune, did you ever find a solution to this problem?  I am experiencing similar problems.  If anyone else has any ideas, I would like to hear your suggestions too.

• Hi guys,

since the node status is being determined from ICMP echo reply and Interface status via SNMP, there stands several questions:

Are you able to ping the problematic nodes from the Orion server? Are the devices configured to reply on ping and isn't the ICMP port blocked? E.g. by firewall?

Can you, please check it?

Honza.

• Jan, I don't have any issues pinging the servers in question from my Orion server.  Here is a question though.  One of my servers in the unknown state is in the DMZ.  I have to use the FQDN in order to ping that server by name.  Under the Node Details section on the server node page under the DNS field it has the server name not the FQDN.  Can that field be edited?  Does it have any effect on how the ping request is sent out?  How do I ensure that Orion is using the FQDN?

• Hi Iross,

Orion is by default reaching the monitored device via IP address defined during add node or discovery procedure. In case your device's IP is dynamic (assigned by DHCP, etc.), or you need to define the hostname (in your case full FQDN), go to the Node details or Node management and go to edit node section. Then under the Polling IP address text field, check the "Dynamic IP Address (DHCP or BOOTP)" checkbox.

Then you can define directly the hostname (FQDN), which will be used for reaching the device (DNS resolution must work).

Please let me know if it helped.

THX.

Honza

• Thanks for the info Jan,

I wasn't sure if Orion used IP or System Name to ping for up down.  We are using static IP addresses on our servers, so that shouldn't be an issue then.  As I said I can ping my unknown status server from the Orion server both by FQDN and IP address.  I even have been getting alerts on Windows Server Counters that have gone into the warning state.  Everything on this particular server is green except for the Node Status which is unknown.  Any other ideas?

• Bump! (same exact issue), I'm running NPM 10.6.1

• Re-adding the node might resolve the issue , give it a try. Delete and add it again - "but then we would loose historical data" emoticons_sad.png