26 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2015 2:31 PM by shaun jensen

Backup HP V1910 (Legacy 3Com 2928) switch

jstarling

I am trying to backup this switch using the Device.CLI.Send activity.  Here is what I am trying to send:

Login authentication 

Username:xxxx
      Password:
      <Raben Tire IT Switch>_cmdline-mode on
      All commands can be displayed and executed. Continue? [Y/N]y

Please input password:******
      Warning: Now you enter an all-command mode for developer's testing, some commands may affect operation by wrong use, please carefully use it with our engineer's direction.
      <Raben Tire IT Switch>backup startup-configuration to 10.21.1.13
      Backup next startup-configuration file to 10.21.1.13, please wait...
      finished!
      <Raben Tire IT Switch>quit

I get to the input of the password and get a syntax error.  Since I get a syntax error there, the rest of the script never runs, it also gets a syntax error.  How do I input a password at that point?

Thanks,
      Jeff

• Re: Backup HP V1910 (Legacy 3Com 2928) switch
          Steve Welsh

Which device type are you using?

jsingleton71

I need to bump this topic. We have literally thousands of these same switches at one of our customers. We have to be able to use NCM to backup, change control, restore configurations to all of these switches.

One thing to point out is that the method the original poster (Jeff), and this here Jeff are using is somewhat unsupported by HP (formerly 3com).  When we login via Telnet, and type that command "_cmdline-mod on" then answer "Y" and enter the secret password - that is the only way we can access the advanced level command line.  It is somewhat Menu driven, but not really, because you can also type out commands. This is a strange bird to say the least, but one that *MUST* be solved and supported by Solarwinds at any cost. I am ready to open a case and work closely with any Engineer to get this resolved, but it must be resolved.

I am in the same boat as the original poster in that ... I get right to that "Please input password:" prompt, then it enters the correct number of *'s, but always reports incorrect password, then the rest of the script fails to run.

I have tried the Template Builder Assistance and the Solarwinds Config Generator...and neither offer enough granularity in creating templates or configuration change scripts to be successful.

So I hope someone has either done this or Solarwinds Tech Support see's this and can help me get to the next step.

Thanks,

Jeff Singleton

Motorola Solutions Inc.

Steve Welsh

Hi Jeff(s),

I've been having a think about this one and the problem is the sequence in which the commands:

_cmdline-mode on

y

secret password

are required. The CatTools Variations feature was designed to get round most issues with unsupported devices, but this one just doesn't quite fit the model.

However, that being said, it 'may' be possible to get this working by the use of CatTools %ctUM meta commands from within the Device.CLI.Send Commands activity.

I can't say with certainty this will work, but it's worth having a try.

1) Setup your device using the 'Generic.Device' device type in CatTools.

2) Create a Device.CLI.Send commands activity and associate your device.

3) In the Options tab of the activity, enter the following:

• %ctUM: Timeout 5
                • _cmdline-mod on
                • %ctUM: Timeout 0
                • %ctUM: PauseTime 2
                • [enter your secret password on this line]
                • %ctUM: PauseTime 2
                • backup startup-configuration to [ip address]

Also on the Options tab, ensure that the options:

'Answer [yes] to any confirmation prompts' is selected, and

'Stop On Error' option is deselected as you will most likely get an error after the 'y' has been sent to the confirmation prompt by CatTools

If the backup takes a long while to complete, then yo may end up hitting the default 30 second command timeout.

If this is the case, then wrap the backup startup-configuration to [ip address] command with the %ctUM:Timeout XX command, e.g:

%ctUM: Timeout 120

backup startup-configuration to [ip address]

%ctUM: Timeout 0

The last thing you may need to do is override the default Generic.Device command used to terminate the session.  To do this you need to use the Variations feature.

1) Open the device setup screen and you should see a Variations tab

2) Select Variations tab then click the 'Use Variations' button to enable variations for this device.

3) Select the 'Additional Commands' tab.

4) Enable the 'Disconnect' field and over type any default text in the adjacent text field with your disconnect command:  quit

5) Save -> OK, then try run the activity.

Hopefully you'll get some degree of success here, else you may need to just experiment a little more with some of the commands.

Please post back how you get on.

Regards,

Steve

jsingleton71

Steve...

I truly appreciate your response. However...after posting all of my reply I realized I would posting under Kiwi Cat Tools, and not under NCM.  My issue is with NCM, but it is literally identical to the one seen here with Cat Tools.

All may not be lost...maybe there is some logic in your response that could be used in NCM.  I will save it and see if there is anything that makes sense in NCM.

Thanks again...

jstarling

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your input.  This is the closest I have been to getting it to work.  One of the issues is when i put in the password, Cattools thinks it is a command and is expecting a response, but there is none. Here is the excerpt of the logfile:

CatTools Service Performing activity - Run Now

CatTools Service Loading activity: HP.1910.Switch.Backup. Schd: 5

CatTools Service Marshaller - Running script. Device:  Tire IT Switch

Tire IT Switch Loading variations for  D:\Program Files\CatTools3\Variations\_Tire_IT_Switch.txt

Tire IT Switch Variations function found

Tire IT Switch Connected to 10.21.1.2

Tire IT Switch Login Generic Device: Tire IT Switch

Tire IT Switch Beginning Login AAA

Tire IT Switch Sending login AAA username

Tire IT Switch Sending login AAA password

Tire IT Switch Login to Raben Tire IT Switch was successful

Tire IT Switch Entering enable mode

Tire IT Switch Waiting for an echo of _cmdline-mode on command

Tire IT Switch Waiting for enter enable password prompt

Tire IT Switch Already in enable mode, or no password was set.

Tire IT Switch Entered enable mode OK

Tire IT Switch Waiting for an echo of terminal len 0 command

Tire IT Switch %ctUM: Timeout 5 processed successfully

Tire IT Switch Waiting for an echo of _cmdline-mode on command

Tire IT Switch Waiting for a response to: _cmdline-mode on

Tire IT Switch Y/N encountered

Tire IT Switch Sending Y

Tire IT Switch Did not receive expected response to command: _cmdline-mode on

Tire IT Switch %ctUM: Timeout 0 processed successfully

Tire IT Switch Pausing for 2 seconds - %ctUM:PauseTime.

Tire IT Switch %ctUM: PauseTime 2 processed successfully

Tire IT Switch Waiting for an echo of xxxxxx command

Tire IT Switch Did not receive echo of xxxxxx command

Tire IT Switch Did not receive echo of xxxxxx

Tire IT Switch Pausing for 2 seconds - %ctUM:PauseTime.

Tire IT Switch %ctUM: PauseTime 2 processed successfully

Tire IT Switch Waiting for an echo of backup startup-configuration to 10.21.1.16 command

Tire IT Switch Waiting for a response to: backup startup-configuration to 10.21.1.16

Tire IT Switch Command results: 5 of 7, 2

Tire IT Switch Disconnecting from Tire IT Switch

Tire IT Switch Disconnected from 10.21.1.2

I have tweaked some of the commands to get this far, but I can't get past the password issue.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

Steve Welsh

Hi Jeff,

From your original post, it looked like after entering the password you received some type of banner message, followed by the device prompt:

Please input password:******
                          Warning: Now you enter an all-command mode for developer's testing, some commands may affect operation by wrong use, please carefully use it with our engineer's direction.
                          <Raben Tire IT Switch>

I can't tell for sure from the infolog extract, but it looks like its getting past this point anyway and sending the 'backup startup-configuration to 10.21.1.16' command, although maybe the device itself is still stuck at the password phase?

If you could enable capture mode (File > Enable Capture Mode) then re-run the activity, you will get a DebugLog .txt file generated in the CatTools3\Debug folder.

As the debuglog can contain sensitive data (passwords, etc.) you may want to send this via an offline email directly so I can take a look.   Can you also attach the infolog.txt too (after running the activity) so I can cross-reference them.

Regards,

Steve

jstarling

Hi Steve,

Here is the debug log you requested:

Thanks for your help

Jeff

Steve Welsh

I couldn't find the infolog.txt to cross-reference it with; however it looks like the command:

backup startup-configuration to 10.21.1.16

is invalid, as the device is responding with:

% Unrecognized command found at '^' position.

Verify the command and try again.

Steve

jstarling

I verified that is the correct command and syntax.  Here is the portion of

the infolog.txt that shows my testing.

Thanks,

Jeff

<solarwindscommunityteam@communications.solarwinds.com>

To:     jstarling <jstarling@kellerschroeder.com>,

Date:   08/14/2012 16:07

Subject:        Re: - Backup HP V1910

(Legacy 3Com 2928) switch

thwack

created by Steve Welsh in Network Configuration Manager - View the full

discussion

I couldn't find the infolog.txt to cross-reference it with; however it

looks like the command:

is invalid, as the device is responding with:

% Unrecognized command found at '^' position.

Verify the command and try again.

Steve

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on

thwack

Start a new discussion in Network Configuration Manager by email or at

thwack

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the designated recipients named above. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

Steve Welsh

You may want to try using the %ctUM: EchoOff meta command prior to sending the response to the password prompt, then the %ctUM: EchoOn after to re-enable echoing.

jstarling

That worked!

There are over 30 of these switches deployed at remote sites, so it was

important to find a feasible solution for backing them up.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

jstarling

Ok, so now that it is working, how do I save the files to

Date:   08/14/2012 17:05

Subject:        Re: - Backup HP V1910 (Legacy 3Com 2928)

switch

thwack

created by Steve Welsh in Kiwi CatTools - View the full discussion

You may want to try using the %ctUM: EchoOff meta command prior to sending

the response to the password prompt, then the %ctUM: EchoOn after to

re-enable echoing.

thwack

Start a new discussion in Kiwi CatTools by email or at thwack

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the designated recipients named above. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

Steve Welsh

jstarling wrote:

Ok, so now that it is working, how do I save the files to

Save the files to where?  What files are you referring to?

Rgds,

Steve

jstarling

Looks like my post got truncated...

Ok, so now that it is working, how do I save the files to devicename.cfg,

for example?  The default filename is startup.cfg, but since I am using a

single activity, I didn't see a way to save the file to a different name.

Jeff

Date:   08/15/2012 16:17

switch

thwack

Steve Welsh

Would I be correct in assuming that the command:

is actually performing a TFTP transfer (or some other file transfer protocol) of the file to a remote server 10.21.1.16?

Is 10.21.1.16 the CatTools server?

jstarling

Yes to both questions.

From:   Steve Welsh

Date:   08/15/2012 17:04

switch

thwack

Would I be correct in assuming that the command:

is actually performing a TFTP transfer (or some other file transfer

protocol) of the file to a remote server 10.21.1.16?

Is 10.21.1.16 the CatTools server?

thwack

Steve Welsh

OK, so is there an extension to the command:

which allows you to specify the destination/target filename?

For example, something like:

backup startup-configuration to 10.21.1.16 : filename.cfg

jstarling

Yes,I can specify a filename, but not a destination.  So is the only

option to have a separate activity for each device?

From:   Steve Welsh

Date:   08/15/2012 18:29

switch

thwack

OK, so is there an extension to the command:

which allows you to specify the destination/target filename?

For example, something like:

backup startup-configuration to 10.21.1.16 : filename.cfg

thwack

Steve Welsh

Try using the %ctDeviceName meta variable within your filename.

backup startup-configuration to 10.21.1.16 : %ctDeviceName_config.cfg

If this works, then you may next want to try using %ctGroupName/%ctDeviceName to see if the file is then saved within a new Group sub-folder (you may need to create the group sub-folder first).

backup startup-configuration to 10.21.1.16 : %ctGroupName/%ctDeviceName_config.cfg

If this works, then the next step would be to try using the Device.Backup.TFTP activity instead to see if this one works with your device, as you may then be able to take advantage of the change notification which is only included as part of the backup activities in CatTools.

Note: you'll need to uncheck the File to write to TFTP server: option to enable the Optional alternate list of commands: box above it.

silva

I am confronted with this now. I see the question is still not answered. Any progress with this anyone ?

silva

Yes, I am. For HP seems like only 2 scripts exist, HP.2500 and HP.others. None works. Do you have a solution for this?

(The closest I get is with HP.others but I just cant seem to be able to make it past "_cmdline-mode on" command and its follow up)

A couple of weeks later: solved by custom script, the VB guy we asked to help said it was easy.

shaun jensen

Script for HP v1910 and 3COM 2928 or any H3C based switch for anyone still running into this.