11 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2012 10:27 AM by AMidnightSoul

email alert not working

humc

email alerts have been working for years with no problem.  all of a sudden a couple of days ago email alerts stopped working.  need assistance to troubleshoot and fix.  here are some points regarding the issue for us.

1. the monitors are going red and are set to alert.

2. there are group alerts setup.

3. if i go into a group alert via 

• Configuration
      • Alert List
      • go to that alert
      • Force Test

the alert works fine and i receive the email

4. if a monitor goes red i do not receive email.  no changes on monitor alert setup.  has been working for years.

5. we recently had an exchange upgrade but that was about 6 months ago and it was working after the upgrade.

6. we recently had a mail domain name change so we edited all of the To/From email addresses in the alerts and in Configuration, System Settings, Identification

7. this started happening after the ipmonitor server was rebooted a couple of days ago.

8. i noticed at first that the tests in #3 above were giving cannot connect errors.  i wound up having to go to 

• Configuration
      • System Settings
      • Email Delivery

- i had to add SMTP relay server option with exchange server domain name and port 25.  after doing this i was successful on manual test in #3.  however automatic alerts are not working.

oh and also i can talk to the exchange server via telnet from ipmonitor server and send mail that way no problem (like this example http://support.microsoft.com/kb/153119.  also email server pings from ipmonitor server.

can you explain how i can force test and alert and get the email however when the monitor goes red and is supposed to alert it is not doing it?

or better yet can you help me resolve this issue.  it doesn't make sense to me.

• Re: email alert not working
          nrms

Are you using Outlook? Assuming you are since you're running Exchange, it's worth checking your Junk Email setup.

I was having an issue where some of my email alerts were being received but others weren't, even though the Exchange server showed them as being accepted and sent to me. On a hunch, I checked the Junk Email settings in Outlook and i discovered our domain's policy was to delete anything that Outlook thought was Junk! On having it changed to deliver Junk items to the Junk Email folder I suddenly started seeing emails arrive there from SolarWinds.

humc

we don't allow junk email in the environment via outlook.  also nothing change in my outlook.  and it happens to everyone in the different alert lists (about 30 people).  and it wouldn't be from solarwinds.  it is an email account on our exchange servers internally just like everyone else.  we just have an email account for the ipmonitor server.

the email from the automatic alerts uses the same account that is successful on force test option.

it's strange right.  it has been driving me crazy all night trying to figure it out.

nrms

Nothing in Outlook changed for me either, but I suddenly stopped receiving 1 of a pair of reports. the strange thing was that one of the reports was getting through, the other wasn't. The Subject lines were very similar, and both had a PDF attachment.

I'd recommend checking the System Manager on the Exchange server. Look to see if the alert email is being received by the Exchange server (I mean one of the alerts that went missing - not a successful test email that you did receive). That way you can isolate the issue to either the SW Server -> Exchange link, or the Exchange -> Outlook link.

humc

will take a look.  any suggestions within ipmonitor though.  what within ipmonitor itself might cause this issue?

humc

i think it is starting to work now.  if it is then it was as simple as running a ipconfig /flushdns on the ipmonitor server (i think. i have tried so many things at this point it is hard to tell exactly).

nrms

Don't you just love computers! :)

At least you seem to have found the problem!

dunman22

Are their any other suggestions.  I am having the same issue since 1/25/12 my alerts have stopped working.   The test alerts work just fine.  My node down alert has been working for awhile now and suddenly its completely not working at this point.   

DanielleH

Please try the steps listed on Orion NPM has stopped sending email alerts thread.

Hope this helps,
                                      DH

AMidnightSoul

Thanks. I have previously checked those items.  Alerts are enabled and I am seeing all the active alerts under the Alerts tab on the web console and in the advanced alert manager.  For instance, there are several new alerts that popped up today under the alert manager, but we didn't receive an email for those alerts. I have also went into the advanced alert manager and tested the alert for several nodes and they are sent and received fine.  So it doesn't seem to be the email server or NPM not alerting on the items, it just seems to no emails going out when an alert is activated.  We have a few nodes that alert with text messages  instead of emails and those alert notices are working.

AMidnightSoul

It our case, it turned out to be a registry key that somehow got stuck during the upgrade to 10.2.  The registry value did not change even though the 'disable all alert actions' was not checked.  We had to manually alter the registry keys.  After we manually changed the registry key, the disable button in the alert manager started working.

The correct setting should be

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolarWinds.net\Alert Manager\settings\
                                              Disable Alert Actions (set it to False) (32-bit server)

Or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SolarWinds.net\Alert Manager\settings\
                                              Disable Alert Actions (set it to False) (64 bit server)

AMidnightSoul

We are having the same issue.  Alerts worked fine for years, through all of our upgrades.  All of sudden, we stopped getting email alerts.  We are getting alerts to cell phones though.  When I go in and test the alert, the alert gets sent and is received.  The alerts are not disabled and the email settings are correct, since I get the test alerts.  I'm at a loss.