6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2012 6:05 AM by michal.hrncirik

    IPAM "Bulk Add Subnets" supernet assignment

    dhenggeler

      When I bulk-add subnets, if I add subnets that should all belong to one supernet, the IPAM bulk add gets the supernet assignment right.  However, if I add subnets that should to multiple supernets, it will get the assignment of those subnets belonging to one of the supernets right, but orphan the rest.

      Am I missing something?

        • Re: IPAM "Bulk Add Subnets" supernet assignment
          michal.hrncirik

          Hi,

          what you wrote should work in the IPAM. Could you please send me diagnostics and the imported text (list of the subnets and masks) you are trying to import so we can quickly investigate your problem? My email is available through contact details on Thwack.

           

            • Re: IPAM "Bulk Add Subnets" supernet assignment
              dhenggeler

              Michal,

              I can't get your e-mail info from your Contacts page.  I think it has something to do with me, not you . . . anyhow, I can be reached at

              dan.henggeler@kcpl.com

              I will work on putting together the stuff you need asap.  I am running a SolarWinds support call in parallel on a CBQoS issue, so it may take me a little while, but I'll get there.

              thanks for your help!

                • Re: IPAM "Bulk Add Subnets" supernet assignment
                  dhenggeler

                  Michal,

                  I found my problem.  Little and stupid, but thought product development might want to know about it.
                  Here's my scenario:

                  A supernet subtree that looks like this:

                  IP Networks     (group/folder)
                   10.128.0.0/10   (supernet)
                    10.160.0.0/16   (supernet)
                     10.160.4.0/22   (supernet)
                     10.160.8.0/22   (supernet)
                     10.160.12.0/22  (supernet)
                     10.160.16.0/22  (supernet)
                     10.160.20.0/22  (supernet)
                     10.160.24.0/22  (supernet)
                     10.160.28.0/22  (supernet)
                     10.160.32.0/22  (supernet)
                     10.160.36.0/22  (supernet)
                     10.160.100.0/24 (supernet)
                     10.160.101.0/24 (supernet)
                     10.160.102.0/24 (supernet)
                     10.160.103.0/24 (supernet)
                     10.160.104.0/24 (supernet)
                     10.160.120.0/24 (supernet)
                     10.160.121.0/24 (supernet)
                     10.160.122.0/24 (supernet)
                     10.160.123.0/24 (supernet)
                     10.160.124.0/24 (supernet)
                     10.160.255.0/24 (supernet)

                  From the supernet tree view pane I select the 10.160.0.0/16 entry.
                  Then from the Network View, I select Import | Bulk Add Subnets and dump the following list (yes, the word "subnet" is the first line in the list).

                  subnet
                  10.160.0.0/32
                  10.160.0.1/32
                  10.160.8.0/25
                  10.160.8.160/28
                  10.160.8.192/28
                  10.160.8.224/28
                  10.160.17.192/26
                  10.160.20.0/29
                  10.160.20.8/29
                  10.160.20.128/26
                  10.160.20.192/26
                  10.160.21.192/26
                  10.160.23.0/24
                  10.160.25.192/26
                  10.160.32.0/29
                  10.160.32.8/29
                  10.160.32.128/26
                  10.160.32.192/26
                  10.160.33.128/25
                  10.160.35.0/24

                  On clicking "Parse and Show Results Below", I obtain the result "20 subnet(s) parsed successfully.".  I select all of them and click Next.
                  On the next page I verify that "Move new subnets into the smallest appropriate supernet" is checked, and enter a canary description "(to be loaded)", then click "Done".

                  None of the subnets were assigned to their correct supernet in this case.

                  However, when the first line "subnet" is removed from the paste text, all subnets are assigned to their correct supernet.

                  The "subnet" in my case was getting pasted in as i was performing a copy operation from an Access table into the text field.  I have no problem taking that out, obviously . . . but thought you might want to know what it caused.

                  thanks for your help!