This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Changing poller IP

FormerMember
FormerMember

Hi All,

I've been asked to move our NPM poller to a different subnet. I know what changes I need to make on our devices but how do I go about making these changes to our database?

What tables in the database needs to be modified and what are the steps to make this happen?

• Hi,

Which version NPM are your running? Is the SQL server local to the NPM installation?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Deltona

Whoops, sorry for the missed data.

I am on NPM v10.2 and the database is on a different server.

• You will need to log on to the machine (NPM) as local admin, NOT a domain admin. If you can't get local admin access then hold off the changing of IP until you can get it.

1. Change the IP.

2. Run Configuration Wizard found in Start > All Programs > SolarWinds Orion > Configuration and Auto Discovery.

If it has been run before then it should have the SQL details cached in the fields. If not, add them and make sure to use the SQL user "sa" and password.

Run the wizard till it ends, it is a Next ~ Next job but pay close attention to the fields in each step. If it asks to create something then chose to use existing instead.

3. When completed successfully, launch the web console.

4. Go to Manage Nodes in Settings > Node & Group Management > Manage Nodes

5. In the left pane where you see Group By, select No Grouping.

6. Make sure the Show filed is set to Nodes and not Interfaces. Select All your Nodes (on all pages if several exist)

You can now assign your nodes to the correct poller (the new IP poller) by hovering your cursor over the "More Actions" button (to the left of the Delete button).

If in doubt as to which poller your nodes are currently assigned to then go to settings > Polling Engines under Details section.

Let us know how it goes.

• FormerMember

Ok great, thanks for the feedback.

I thought for sure this would be a bit more complicated but the steps you indicated doesn't seem to bad.

Once I get the approval to move forward, I will let you know how I made out.

Thanks again, appreciate it!

• FYI, it was more complicated in previous versions. The steps back then required you to use a tool called Load Balancer after running Configuration Wizard, to assign your Nodes to the new (new IP) Polling Engine.

Since 10.2 that tool has been removed and you can now do it via the web console :)

You're welcome.

• FormerMember

Thanks for your help Deltona, your advice worked perfectly!

Thanks again!

• This procedure has been formalized as the SolarWinds Knowledge Base article, "Changing the IP address of your SolarWinds server".