This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

ERROR SolarWinds.InformationService.Core.CrudProcessor - Create operation failed.

FormerMember
FormerMember

Anyone know what would be causing this when we try to connect to add custom poller to the device with a script?

2012-01-03 16:21:51,171 [14] ERROR SolarWinds.InformationService.Core.CrudProcessor - Create operation failed.
System.Security.SecurityException: Access to Orion.NPM.CustomPollerAssignment denied.
   at SolarWinds.InformationService.Core.CrudProcessor.CheckAccessControl(AccessControlOperations operations, EntityType entity, IAccessControlResolver accessControlResolver)
   at SolarWinds.InformationService.Core.CrudProcessor.CheckAccessControl(AccessControlOperations operations, EntityType entity, IEnumerable`1 propertyNames, IAccessControlResolver accessControlResolver)
   at SolarWinds.InformationService.Core.CrudProcessor.CreateInternal(String entityType, IDictionary`2 properties, IQueryExecutionContext context)
   at SolarWinds.InformationService.Core.CrudProcessor.Create(IServiceHost serviceHost, String entityType, IDictionary`2 properties, IQueryExecutionContext context)
The Zone of the assembly that failed was:
MyComputer

• Create/Update/Delete is not supported for Orion.NPM.CustomPollerAssignment. This is enforced through the access control mechanisms, so that's why you're getting an access denied message.

I'll bring this to the attention of the product manager for NPM, because what you are trying to do is a very logical way to automate things.

• Got it, thanks Tim (99351)

kbyrne@maximumasp.com, can you elaborate on your use case a bit more?

What type of pollers, how many, deployed against what type of node...

That wil help us treating this enhancement request with the appropriate priority

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to fcaron

My developer has this working on our production box, but this is not working on our lab box.  we have 6 custom pollers that we are trying to assign to a node once it is added to the database.  We can figure out why this is failing, when it works on the prod box.  The nodes we are adding are Juniper Netscreen firewalls and we are adding session, cpu, memory type of pollers.

• Are the two servers running the same version of NPM?

• Can you use a stored procedure instead?

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[sp_addCustomPollers]
     @NodeID int,
     @FQDN nvarchar(255),
     @PollerGroup nvarchar(255)
    AS
    BEGIN
     INSERT INTO CustomPollerAssignment (CustomPollerAssignmentID, AssignmentName, CustomPollerID, NodeID, InterfaceID)
      SELECT NEWID(), UniqueName + ' on ' + @FQDN, CAST(SUBSTRING(cast(CustomPollerID as nvarchar(255)), 1, 36) as UNIQUEIDENTIFIER),
      @NodeID, 0 AS InterfaceID FROM CustomPollers
      WHERE GroupName=@PollerGroup and Enabled=1;
    END

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to tdanner

Both Servers are running 10.2,  one server is running NCM 6.1 and the other 7.0,  But that shouldn't matter since this wasn't working before I upgraded it to 7.0 either.

• The trouble with just updating the database (with or without a stored procedure) is that the new custom poller assignments may not be scheduled for polling right away. A restart of the Orion Module Engine service would cause the new assignments to get scheduled for polling.

I can't explain why it would have worked on one 10.2 server but not the other. That's strange.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to david.templeton

I talked to our developer and he said that is not really an option moving forward, because we run the risk of corrupting the entire database.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to tdanner

I have ran the permission checker and the configuration manager to see if there was a fix that needed ran. 

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Just curious, would the fact that our lab environment is a virtual machine running the software and database be a factor?