6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2011 10:39 AM by phil3

Time stamp of last reported event

qle

Is there a view (from NPM lingo) or report that displays all nodes and the time of their last reported event? I believe my request is pretty basic but I'm having trouble finding where I could find this information in one view/report.

• Re: Time stamp of last reported event
          phil3

Hi, Quang.

I'm not sure we have exactly what you're asking for in your post, but I'm interested to know more about the exact problem you're trying to solve. With that additional information, we'll probably be able to get you what you're looking for.

Thanks.

qle

Phil,

Not really a problem. Just want an indication of when the last event was reported for each node. Obviously some nodes are more of a chatterbox than others so if I don't see any reported activity from such a node in the last 30 seconds, I'll know something ain't right. At the same time, there may be other nodes that don't report for hours so again, if I don't hear from them in the last eight hours, something probably ain't right. The problem could be with the agent, the box or connection. Point being, it'll probably be something worth investigating.

I hope I'm explaining myself clear enough.

phil3

Thanks for the clarification.

We don't really have a report that shows that, but I can recommend a few other things that will likely get you what you're looking for.

Use the Agent connectivity status to determine whether or not Agents are connected

1. Open your LEM Console and log into your LEM Manager.
                  2. Click the Manage tab, and then click Nodes.
                  3. Filter your list by the Status column using the Refine Results pane.
                  4. Alternately, check the Last Connected column to determine the last time each Agent established a connection with your LEM Manager.

Create a rule to notify you when Agents lose connectivity with your LEM Manager

1. Open your LEM Console and log into your LEM Manager as an administrator.
                  2. Click the Build tab, and then click Rules.
                  3. Click NATO5 Rules on the Refine Results pane.
                  4. Enter Agent Offline into the Search box at the top of the Refine Results pane.
                  5. Clone the rule with the appropriate time frame in its title: click the gear icon next to the rule (left), and then click Clone.
                    Note: Find out more about the Time of Day Sets used in these rules here.
                  6. Modify the rule if necessary.
                  7. Select Enable next to the Description field.
                  8. Click Save.
                  9. Back on the main Rules view, click Activate Rules.

Use nDepth to get a general overview of alert traffic from Agents and other nodes

1. Open your LEM Console and log into your LEM Manager as an administrator.
                  2. Click the Explore tab, and then click nDepth.
                  3. Examine the results to see all alerts within the last 10 minutes.
                  4. Modify the search to extend the time frame or refine it for specific nodes (e.g. a group of Agents, only firewalls, etc.)
                  5. Export the results as a report if you want to save the data.
                    1. Click the gear icon in the upper-right corner of the nDepth view, and then click Export.
                    2. Modify the report layout to suit your preferences.
                    3. Click Export to PDF and save the file in an appropriate location.
                  6. Save the search if you want to run it again at a later date.
                    1. Click the gear icon in the upper-right corner of the nDepth view, and then click Save As.
                    2. Give the search a name, and then click OK.

I hope these options will work for you. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks.

phil3

Also, here are a few KBs (with videos) that might be helpful while implementing my suggestions above.

Creating Rules from Your LEM Console to Take Automated Action

Cloning, Enabling, and Activating NATO5 Rules

Thanks again.

qle

Phil,

I appreciate the detailed response!

Use the Agent connectivity status to determine whether or not Agents are connected

1. Open your LEM Console and log into your LEM Manager.
                        2. Click the Manage tab, and then click Nodes.
                        3. Filter your list by the Status column using the Refine Results pane.
                        4. Alternately, check the Last Connected column to determine the last time each Agent established a connection with your LEM Manager.

This is what prompted me to start this thread. There are some nodes that display a Last Connected time stamp of a week ago and yet, I know for a fact that they have reported events in within the last 10 minutes.

Create a rule to notify you when Agents lose connectivity with your LEM Manager

This was going to be my next question so thank you for using your power of premonition for providing the answer. However, I chose to use the InternalAgentOffline rule in the SolarWinds Rules folder since we don't adopt of the concept of work shifts here.

Use nDepth to get a general overview of alert traffic from Agents and other nodes

I appreciate the suggestion but as aforementioned, we may have nodes that don't report in for hours so generating/saving an nDepth report would either generate too much or too little information.

I hope these options will work for you. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

If you're willing to accept feature requests, I'd like to either have

1. The Last Connected column reflect the time stamp of the last collected event from the node.
                            2. A report created with this information. 

Thanks again.

phil3

I'll pass your feature requests over to product management.

Regarding the Last Connected column in the Nodes view, I just have one point of clarification: This date/time reflects the last time the Agent established a connection with your LEM Manager, not necessarily the last time the two communicated. It sounds like you get this concept, but I thought I'd throw this out for others who might read this thread.

Thanks again for your open communication.

Happy New Year!