4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2011 3:27 AM by Mark Roberts

Does NPM can monitor fan status and temperature for Fortigate Firewall 200B-BDL

jliewch2003

Hi all, may i know that NPM can monitor fan status and temperature of the firewall FB 200B-BDL from Fortinet??

• Re: Does NPM can monitor fan status and temperature for Fortigate Firewall 200B-BDL
          nrms

Fortinet is listed in the SNMP Browser in Engineer's Toolset, and appears in the UnDP on my NPM server, so it should do.

What you need to do is find the relevant SNMP OIDs to monitor. They're somewhere under 1.3.6.1.4.12356. The following may be a good place to start:

FORTIOS-300-MIB:fnHwSensorEntry
          OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.12356.1.110.2.1
          Access: Not-Accessible
          Type: Unknown
          An entry containing the name , value , and alarm status of a given hardware sensor

You want to do yourself an SNMP walk of that table to see if it has exactly what you're after. I don't have any Fortinet devices, so I can't confirm this covers what you're after.

You may also want to search the Content Exchange bit of thwack to see if someone else has already done something for Fortinet that covers what you're looking for!

• Re: Does NPM can monitor fan status and temperature for Fortigate Firewall 200B-BDL
            Mark Roberts

If you have the Engineers Toolset, use the MIB browser or MIB Walk apps to do a live lookup on the Fortigate to determine the full list of available metrics within the HWSensor section of the FG MIB. As previously pointed out this MIB area is not fully structured in the same way as the Cisco environmental MIB for example, which has a specific OID heirachy for fans, temp etc., instead it is just in a single table.

Therefore what you are essentially looking for is the Index value for the data points, which will be your GET request OID for that data point i.e. Fan Status

If you are running v10.2 of Orion NPM, there is a nice addition of a MIB Walk tool, which can be found in the C:\Program Files\SolarWinds\Orion folder.