This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Licensing error

Hi guys,

When I try and run cattools I get this error: "you have too many copies of this program already running on your system or network. you are licensed for only 1 copy/copies at a time"

The strange thing is, I have no other copies of cattools running anywhere, there are no other users on thsi server, and this server has no internet access and is behind a firewall which blocks comms between servers. So even if there was another copy running it wouldn't be able to see it.

The error is persistent. We did recently migrate onto a new server, which i suspect is where it has corrupted the software. We uninstalled and reinstalled v3.5 and immediately the same error came up. It doesn't even give me the option to input a new license key.

This is really annoying and we are out of maintenance support. Are there some logs I can see that will tell me where cattools thinks it can see another copy running.

• I installed solarWinds License Manager, when I open it, it reports "no licensed solarwinds applications were found n this computer"

This really makes me think something has corrupted, is there a registry key I should try and delete which will allow me to re-enter my license key?

• Hi kdn,

CatTools is most likely detecting the CatTool Service running on the old server which is using the same license key.  

Check the current processes on the old server and ensure that there are no CatTools processes running.   You may also want to ensure that CatTools is fully uninstalled from the old server in case the box is rebooted (which will normally restart the CatTools service automatically if its installed).

Please let me know how you get on.

With regards to the CatTools license detection by SolarWinds Licensing Manager, the licenses for Kiwi products are generated in a slightly different manner to most of the other SolarWinds products (I believe it is using still the original Kiwi Enterprises license generator tool) and as such chances are the SolarWinds Licensing Manager will not detect them.

Regards,

Steve

• Hi Steve, thanks for your reply.

That is the weird thing, the old server has been in the rubbish bin for the last 6 months. so that's why I am surprised it is seeing another copy. Is it possible that its cached it somewhere on this new server, that it saw an old install? it seems to pop up pretty quickly, and I would assume it could only possibly detect it if cattools happened to be running at the time I tried to open it on this server too? Is there any debugging I can turn on?

• So the old server is definitely gone from the network altogether?  If so, then there must be an instance of CatTools installed elsewhere on the network.

Have you installed on a PC somewhere (during migration from the old server?) 

• yes the old server was removed the same time as this new one was installed.

This is sort of my point, this server is installed off its own firewall interface, I blocked all access expect RDP to this server, when I login to the box and run, it still gives this error. how can it see another copy on a network its blocked from? I have checked all the desktops no-one else has a copy running and I am the only one who has access to the license key.

• Interesting.

The only thing I can think of, is maybe your server where CatTools is installed is configured to allows multiple simultaneous RDP sessions?

If this is the case, then it may be that there is already an active session on the server with CatTools running.

If this isn't the problem, then there is definitely another system out there which is using the same CatTools license as you have installed on this box.

If you can't find it, then send me a message offline and maybe I can give you some more pointers to help locate it.

Regards,

Steve