This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Cat Tools Data Execution Prevention error

FormerMember
FormerMember

I am running Cat Tools on a Windows 2008 server.  On 11/21 there were multiple security and regular updates for windows that were pushed to this server.  Since that date I cannot get Cat Tools to load at all.  Running the program gives me a Microsoft error saying SolarWinds CatTools has stopped running.  Details of the problem show:

Problem signature:

Problem even name:  BEX

Application Name:  CatTools_Manager.exe

Application Version:  3.6.0.0

The only options are to close the program or to check online for a solution and close the program.  Checking online for a solution says to help protect my computer, Data Execution Prevention has closed Cat Tools.  I went through the steps of turning on DEP for only Windows essential windows programs and also turned it on for all programs and listed Cattools as an exception.  Neither worked.  I also went through the steps of going to the command line and running bcdedit and turning off DEP totally, and also disabling PAE.  Rebooted the system and still the same error.  I am not sure how I am still getting a DEP error with DEP turned off.

Any way to fix this without going through the 38 various windows updates from 11/21 and uninstalling them to see which one(s) may have broken this?  I'm sure this will pop up again if I dont fix the root cause of it.

Thanks for any help!

• Hi ktatum,

This issue is something we are currently investigating.   To date there has been just one other report of it being a problem and from what that customer has been able to find, its related to a security fix in Microsoft Update KB2533623 and relates only to x64 Windows O/S.

Also on that customers machine, regsvr32 can no longer be run on their machine (which is quite a problem in itself).

Can you confirm for me please the following:

1) the Windows edition you are running (x86 or x64)?

2) are you able to manually register .dll's?

Thanks,

Steve

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Spartacus

Yes this system is a 2008 server running 64 bit windows.  I checked the windows updates that were pushed a few weeks ago and the KB2533623 was one of the updates that loaded then.

I have not tried to manually register a DLL on this system.  Is there one that I should register for this? 

Thanks for your help!

• Try the CatTool.dll.

On a x64 system it should be found here: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CatTools.dll

• FormerMember

No I could not get this to work.  I ran it on the CatTools.dll and received an error that the Microsoft Register Server has stopped working.  Problem details were APPCRASH of regsvr32.exe.  Clicking the "checking online for a solution" returned nothing at all.

Keith

• Yep... that's exactly what I was expecting you to say.

It seems that the MS security patch may have caused this.  From what I can tell it may be related to the automatic redirection when calling 32bit applications on a 64bit system being disabled by this patch.

At present I am trying to find a workaround, however if you can't register .dll's manually any more than this could be an issue that needs taking up with Microsoft Support as it will most likely be effecting more than just CatTools.

I will post back on this thread anything which I find may be of interest during my continued investigations.

Regards,

Steve

• FormerMember

Ok thanks Steve.  We do have a case open with Microsoft, so I will see if they come back with anything.  At this time I am going to uninstall the particular update and see if I can get it running for the short term.  Since I really dont think I have to have 64 bit on this particular server I have been talking with our Windows group about just rebuilding the box with 32 bit to see if that provides a more long term solution.

Thanks,

Keith

• Hi Keith,

I would be very interested to hear what Microsoft come back with.   Please may I ask you post any updates you have on this issue as it will be of real benefit to the CatTools community.

Thanks,

Steve

• Hi Keith,

Have you received any feedback from Microsoft yet?  

We've been unable to recreate this issue in-house when installing just this update on a clean Server install, or by applying all updates to date.

Regards,

Steve