8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2017 4:08 AM by alexslv

Regurarly Scheduled Maintenance Periods

karltbraun

I can't be the only one with this problem:  How do you set up regularly recurring maintenance periods (periods of unmanaged status)?

• Re: Regurarly Scheduled Maintenance Periods
          nrms

There is an "Unmanage Scheduling Utility" on the SolarWinds server. On my install the shortcut is on the Start menu under SolarWinds Orion > Advanced Features.

To quote from the software:
          What you can do with the Schedule Unmanage Utility:

• Create a task to unmanage Orion® nodes, applications, and interfaces for a custom period of time. An unmanage task can be scheduled to run on a schedule.
          • Edit existing tasks to add or delete Orion objects or adjust the time period.
          • Why use this utility? If you have routine scheduled maintenance that happens once a week, you can have an unmanage task that runs at the same time. Selected Orion objects will be unmanaged and you won't receive alerts from them during this period of maintenance.
              karltbraun

Thanks for this.  I hadn't stumbled upon that.  And I appreciate your pointing it out to me.

But to Solarwinds I have to say:  This is one of the most bogus features of an NMS I have seen - a real hack job.  I have to go to two places to schedule this.  Length of time in the utility, time to start in Task manager, and yet another need for a login with a non-expiring password.  Plus, as far as I can tell, no way to easily see when regular maintenance windows are - something I think would be critical in a large systems environment - without getting one of the SQL guys to write a query.

Consider this a feature request.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              bobmarley

There is always the Orion SDK option and running an external script to unmanage them. It's fairly easy and you have complete control over the whole process.