This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Need to monitor power on our chassis based Cisco switches/routers

We have several Cisco 4507s, 6509s, 6513s, etc. and we would like to be notified when there is a problem with the power (supplies).

For the purpose of this question, I will reference the 4507s that we have. All of them have two 6000 Watt power supplies. Each power supply has two 220V plugs inserted.

I have created a UnDP referencing the CiscoEnvMonSupplyState. The results that I get are something like 1,1 (Meaning that everything is fine with both power supples).

I am trying to write an Alert based off of this UnDP where the trigger is where the Numeric Status is not equal to 1 (Meaning that their is a problem with the power supply).

The problem that I am having is trying to associate the column value with a particular power supply. E.g. The results returned from the poll are 2,1.

I want the alert to say something like There is a problem with "Power Supply 1". What variable can I use to reference Power Supply n (${Variable Name})

The other thing that I would like to alert on is if one of the plugs for a particular power supply loses power or is unplugged. Is there a way to say "there is a problem with Plug n (where n is either 1 or 2) for Power Supply n (where n is 1 or 2)?

I have also found that there is another OID for the Power Supply number (CiscoEnvMonSupplyStatusDesc).

Is there a way to associate the results from the State with the Desc?

Maybe I'm just going about this in the wrong way. Any ideas?

I'm a little new to this so if you could be rather descriptive with your answers or screenshots that would be very much appreciated.

We are running with NPM 10.1.3.

Also, if there is anything that I have left out in order for you to reply with a descriptive answer, let me know and I will do my best to provide you with the information that you need.

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

• You got the first and hardest part done by identifying the OID. To set alerts for the status change on the power supply you will need to create an alert. Create an alert for the status change of the power supply using your UnDP. When creating the alert in the trigger condition tab there is a drop down for type of property to monitor. Here you can select your UnDP you created and modify your alert accordingly. This will help get you started. If this helped - please verify this as an answer.

-bret

• Bret:

Thank-you very much for replying.

But that is just it. Under the trigger condition, I have chosen Custom Node Poller and the condition that I test for is Numeric Status is not equal to 1 (Not Normal).

The problem that I have is in the message of the alert. What variable do I use to list out the Power supply that is having the problem?

If you need more information, please let me know. And again, thanx for your reply.

• In your trigger action. in my example I used this variable in email. Try using something like this On ${DateTime} the cluster status changed for ${NodeName} too ${CustomPollerStatus.Status}. For the subject you can possibly use this ${NodeName} triggered cluster status change. I use these variables for my Check Point Firewalls when they change their member modes, so you will need to curtail it to your scenario.  You may have to mess around with it a little before you get it right, but the context will be very similar. Also using the Insert Variable for ideas and with trial and error should give the results you are looking for.

~ bret

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to kindbro

The table below and alerts to go with are available for download from the user community.  I uploaded them a long time ago.  Let me see if I can find them

Power Supply Status

ciscoEnvMonSupplyStateTable - LabelciscoEnvMonSupplyStateTable
    Power Supply 1, WS-CAC-3000Wnormal
    Power Supply 2, WS-CAC-3000W

normal

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Also some useful Temperature and Fan Status

Temperature Readings

Reaching threshold will shutdown device

CISCOTemp - LabelCISCOTempCISCOTemp_ThresholdPercentCISCOTemp_Threshold
    module 1 inlet temperature2436.965
    module 1 outlet temperature3448.670
    module 2 inlet temperature2538.565
    module 2 outlet temperature2738.670
    module 5 asic-1 (SSO-1) temp2318.1127
    module 5 asic-2 (SSO-2) temp2321.9105
    module 5 asic-3 (SSO-3) temp2321.9105
    module 5 asic-4 (SSO-4) temp2221105
    module 5 asic-5 (SSA-1) temp2221105
    module 5 asic-6 (HYPERION-1) tem2321.9105
    module 5 device-1 temperature3245.770
    module 5 device-2 temperature3245.770
    module 5 EARL inlet temperature2338.360
    module 5 EARL outlet temperature3242.775
    module 5 inlet temperature2338.360
    module 5 outlet temperature2843.165
    module 5 RP inlet temperature2436.965
    module 5 RP outlet temperature2436.965
    module 6 asic-1 (SSO-1) temp2318.1127
    module 6 asic-2 (SSO-2) temp2321.9105
    module 6 asic-3 (SSO-3) temp2321.9105
    module 6 asic-4 (SSO-4) temp2321.9105
    module 6 asic-5 (SSA-1) temp2321.9105
    module 6 asic-6 (HYPERION-1) tem2321.9105
    module 6 device-1 temperature3144.370
    module 6 device-2 temperature3245.770
    module 6 EARL inlet temperature244060
    module 6 EARL outlet temperature304075
    module 6 inlet temperature2338.360
    module 6 outlet temperature2843.165
    module 6 RP inlet temperature2741.565
    module 6 RP outlet temperature264065
    module 8 inlet temperature2443.655
    module 8 outlet temperature4047.185
    module 9 inlet temperature2545.555
    module 9 outlet temperature4148.285
    VTT 1 outlet temperature3227.8115
    VTT 2 outlet temperature2521.7115
    VTT 3 outlet temperature2723.5115

Fan Status

ciscoEnvMonFanStateTable - LabelciscoEnvMonFanStateTable
    Chassis Fan Tray 1normal
    Power Supply 1 Fannormal
    Power Supply 2 Fannormal
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Can't find my upload but here is another users for power status and alerts

Temperature Poller and alert(alert link in the comments)

Always best to search the Content Exchange first.  try it for the Cisco Fan Status.

• pyro13g:

I apoligize for not responding sooner, but I had a few emergencies that had to be taken care of.

Thank-you very much for responding to my post.

I just have one more question with regards to the power alerting.

I would like the output in the email/alert to look very similar to the output that you posted above.

What variable would you use for the 'ciscoEnvMonSupplyStateTable' so that the output would indicate which power supply, and which variable would you use for the 'LabelciscoEnvMonSupplyStateTable'?

I would like the alert to have these variables printed on separate lines for each power supply, if possible. Instead of the first line saying something like 'Power Supply 1... Power Supply 2...' and the next line saying something like 'normal normal'

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

• pyro13g:

Again thank-you very much for the information. It helped quite a bit.

And, as I just posted with regards to power; Is there a way, in the alert, to have the the alert formatted very much like you have it shown above for Fan Status?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As always, TIA for any help.

• pyro13g:

Forgot to mention one other thing.

A lot of our switches 4507s, 6509s, 6513s, etc. have larger power supplies such as 6000W power supplies. Each power supply has two 220V plugs. Is there a way to monitor and/or alert when there is an issue with one of the plugs? And if so what OID/Alert variable would you use?

I have checked the Content Exchange and Forum sections but have not come up with anything. All I have been able to find is with the power supplies themselves.

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.